Re: A new field of design research

Keith Russell <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 30 Apr 2010 11:41:09 +1000

text/plain

Dear Terry

while I enjoy the direction this exposition is taking, I am getting a little concerned that theory has become THEORY. I support the thrust of syncretist research - that is, we should aim to get at least three if not four of the elephant's legs in the drawing and not mistake the trunk for another leg. But, while expanding the possible usefulness of a theory cluster we are not actually elevating any one theory or the process of forming theories into some kind of super theory. Theories are ways of showing was its not obvious (axiomatic) - we may grade them according to their coherence, sufficiency, coverage, neatness etc. but in doing so we are not doing anything more than showing something that was not obvious.

cheers

keith

>>> Terence Love <[log in to unmask]> 30/04/10 11:08 AM >>>
Hi David,

When we write theories, we write them in short form without dotting and
crossing.

All individual theories depend on assumptions relating to other areas of
theory. These include assumptions about how/why we identify and name
entities in out theory; assumptions about the modelling of behaviours of
entities; assumptions about human emotion, cognition, learning,
interaction; assumption about the ways we make those theories; general
theories; epistemological assumptions; ontological assumptions at heart
involving human values; and a raft of other theory dependencies.

To 'make full sense' of any individual theory involves making these explicit
and  looking at the way the theory depends on them.

One of the problem areas in theory construction  has been at the empirical
end of research where there has been two problem tendencies. The first is to
blur the differences between empirical findings and theories as if this was
unproblematic. There are good political reasons to do this because inferring
a research finding is a theory offers extra status. The second is to presume
that these problem conflated findings/theories are independent of any
epistemological assumptions. Again there are good reasons to do this: it
avoids having to address the problem as to the exact relationship between
research findings and theories (with the risk of finding out that many
claimed theories aren't);   it avoids a lot of epistemological justification
work; and it removes the need to  do the difficult work of identifying
causal explanations and validating them against theory in other fields.
Historically, activity in some areas of design research have  been
particularly enthusiastic about going down this path.

I'm suggesting that to make sense of a theory it has to be linked to other
theories that it depends on assumptions about. In Design Studies in 2000, I
suggested that it is useful to ask about any individual theory's
relationship with other theories in nine specific 'layers' of theory.

This from observation is useful because it identifies holes in the original
theory. It is in that sense that to make sense of a theory depends un
understanding its links with other theories. The same appears to apply to
theories linked to empirical findings - if they are theories and not simply
research data.

Warm regards from sunny Perth,
Terry

Dr. Terence Love