Re: Using Blackboard for PDP

Shelley Wolfson <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:22:16 +0000

text/plain

Hello

You may all be interested in this email I have received from a techy colleague. Also, you can share with external users so using Bb will be okay for this:

"""
I have a tip that may help with the blackboard e-portfolios and the formatting problem.

The problem appears to be with MS Word rather than blackboard.

Word embeds all sorts of strange things into its documents, which don't display in word, but suddenly muck up the formatting when you copy and paste to other applications.

The box you paste into in Blackboard is a simple HTML editor. It does its best to interpret these embedded characters as it sees fit, but doesn't always quite understand what Word is trying to do. You would get the same results if you tried to paste the Word content into Notepad or any other HTML editor.

It's a bit like trying to convert Pascal into Fortran.

If you save your word doc as a text document, reopen it, and then cut and paste into Blackboard, you will not get the double spacing problem.

The HTML editor is better at taking plain text, and then applying the formatting using the tools it provides."""

I may change my mind if this is the case!!!

Shelley Wolfson BA(Hons) PGCE MA
Departmental Subject Leader
Academic Conduct Officer
School of Computing and Engineering