MENTORING-COACHING  June 2009

MENTORING-COACHING June 2009

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Third e-seminar for the BERA Mentoring & Coaching SIG: 22 - 26 June

Corina Seal <[log in to unmask]>

BERA-MENTORING-COACHING <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 22 Jun 2009 17:58:43 +0100

text/plain

Hello Sarah

Thanks for getting the discussion started.

Yes, I agree that it is important to consider the influences that give
rise to practitioners questions. One of the things we looked at in the
data we collected for the 'Practitioners' Questions paper' was 'stated
influences on choice of research project'. In 95% of the papers
practitioners said that they were influenced by their own research/reading
and in 78% by their own teaching (these figures were both 100% for TLA
presentations). So we felt confident that the questions reflected
practitioners own concerns.

I couldn't say from the data we used whether or not it is true that the
majority of the research by teachers is undertaken in conjunction with a
university-based research coach or mentor. I do think that most of the
research undertaken in my own network and school is closely tied to
practitioners own interests. We have 12 practitioners following a Masters
module with the Institute of Education ('Leading Enquiry-based
Professional Learning') and each of them have chosen a focus to tie in
with school priorities and their own personal targets. All staff doing TLA
projects have chosen foci linked to their own needs or roles in school.
What have people found in other schools?

Corina