MENTORING-COACHING  September 2008

MENTORING-COACHING September 2008

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Many coaches have coach supervisors. Might mentors benefit from having supervisors too?

Dianne Allen <[log in to unmask]>

BERA-MENTORING-COACHING <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 14 Sep 2008 06:33:24 +1000

text/plain

Sarah,

Taxonomies ... identities ... what my questions are stirring up

I can't say I know the literature to attempt an answer to 'Are there
mentoring taxonomies already?'

I can throw into the pot however, at least three analyses I have found
useful.

One levels of analysis is as in logical levels of learning as presented by
Gregory Bateson, in Steps to an Ecology of Mind, where levels go from zero
to three, but hypothetically beyond three, and work a bit like (I do have
some background in basic physics) position (Location and zero velocity),
movement (change of location in time = velocity), acceleration (change in
location by change in velocity in time).  Consequently, I see learning as
something that generates change, and learning to change is 'second-order',
and involves learning about learning, something others call metacognition.
By extension there is also learning about learning to change, a third order,
and so on.  As Bateson admits, what it looks like, on the ground, in some
person's practice, can be hard to enunciate, let alone achieve on a regular
day to day basis.

Also, John Heron, in The Complete Facilitator's Handbook, speaks of levels
of decisions about learning, and facilitating learning.  He names three:
Direction (facilitator decides); Negotiation (facilitator negotiates with
learner to decide); and Delegation (learner decides), and a fourth level
where the facilitator decides which of these three levels is appropriate to
the learning involved.  Heron suggests that this sort of level movement can
keep on going in an infiniter regress of deferred decision making, but in
the end someone acts unilaterally, autonomously at some level, or we all
become neurotic or go mad.

As for the complexity that is person, well you can pick and choose.  There
are nearly as many models as there are people!   The one I use to talk with
people about relationship and mutual comprehension and its limits, is the
Johari window: the you you know and can disclose, the you you are disclosing
in an interaction, the you that another sees, but which is blind to you, and
the you that is unknown to you and to other.  In this model, you can choose
to disclose material from what you know and can disclose.  When that
happens, more of you is 'open' to the other party and they can see more of
you that is blind to you.  If they feedback to you that which they see and
which is blind to you, and you can accept that (usually we can't and take
offence) then some of the unknown to you becomes known and now available for
self-initiated disclosure.

Happy hunting and thinking about how/what you want to convey to help
understand and talk about what is going on in the mentoring relationship and
exchange!

This is about the point where I remember that I never really completely
understood-to-mastery the mathematics of matrices; where I wonder why many
of our models are three dimensional at most (and the rubrics cube puzzle);
and how, if I were a more effective visual artist I might be able to use
colour in some three dimensional construction that was moving through space
at acceleration to convey ...  But then again, understanding, at a certain
level, physics, the very thing that is involved in that science is the
reduction to single variables, one at a time, and everything else is
approximations and probabilities, but strong enough to build space stations
successfully.

Dianne