Gender

Ken Friedman <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 20 Jan 2008 20:11:59 +0100

text/plain

Dear Fiona, Carlos, and Milena,

There's several answers to the gender question, and it helps to sort
out the central issues from contingent effects. The degree to which
gender affects any human activity has several components. It is
likely that some of these are biological and physical. Males and
females have different bodies, different hormone structures, even
some kinds of different brain structures. These affect what women and
men can do.

What human beings _can_ do is mediated by what human beings permit us
to do through the patterns, behaviors, history, laws, and culture
that surround or govern us. Women can drive motor vehicles except
where the law states that they may not do so. Women can pilot jet
planes, except where company custom or government edict prohibits
female pilots. These cultural or social differences get down to the
old question in human studies of nature versus nurture.

Some issues are contingent in a narrow historical sense. Women enter
the professions in far greater numbers today than even fifty years
earlier. In the Chartered Society of Designers, the cohort that forms
today's associate members in a 50/50 ratio will move upward in
qualifications and achievements at a relatively equal rate. We can
expect the proportions of members and fellows to shift toward
equality as they do. The imbalance of men and women in membership and
fellowship is an historically contingent artifact of an era in which
fewer women than men entered the design profession.

A male designer who sometimes chats with me about these issues has
now chosen the successor at his practice. Over the next decade, he
will gradually sell the shares in his practice to one of his female
associates. I've worked with both. They are both good. Longer years
of experience and greater name value give him an edge today. Greater
emotional sensitivity and a different style give her a different
approach. I suspect that the firm will grow and move in new
directions when she takes charge sometime in the 2010s.

If I think about design research, I find that I spend a little more
time talking and corresponding with women than with men. In Lisbon,
someone noted that the podium was generally occupied by slightly
overweight, aging men with hair loss. (Not the effervescent Eduardo
Corte-Real, of course, who is slender, energetic, and -- like his
colleague Martim Lapa -- blessed with luxuriant, dark hair.)

The comment had the ring of truth. Of course, I was in the audience
at the time, rather than on the podium. But I do have some mildly
overweight, aging male friends with whom I tear my hair out in grumpy
emails. Being a grumpy old guy, I suppose our short snippy comments
account for the majority of my correspondence among research friends,
but I have as many females among those with whom I correspond. Among
the blogs and newsletters that I follow carefully, my number one
daily read is Dori Tunstall followed by Nadia McLaren. The newsletter
of the month, of course, remains Design Research News. DRN is
produced by a distinguished aging male -- but he remains the
exception.

Fiona's comments on textile are quite to the point. This may have
more to do with the field than with gender, though textile has
traditionally been a part of women's culture. Interestingly, though,
the one person I know who works in research on textiles is male, and
the issues that Fiona notes characterize my experience of him. Is
this a factor of textile, or of women's culture, or of the way that
women's culture has influenced textile, thus influencing (or
selecting for) the men who enter the field?

The same holds for games. I suspect much of the violence of gaming
has to do with audience and market factors. And all games have an
element of winning and losing, even chess and bridge. The only game
designer I know personally is a female. Her success must have
something to do with an ability to meet market demand.

Sorting out what holds for gender and what holds for society's
interpretation around gender is a matter for study. Perhaps one's
gender should not matter for those kinds of research that we believe
involve objective understandings of a world outside us such as
chemistry or physics -- or a world of purely logical constructs such
as mathematics or logic. Nevertheless, this may not be the case.
Consider the physics research community. Margaret Wertheim (1997)
explored the world of physicists in a book titled Pythagoras's
Trousers: God, Physics, and the Gender Wars.

One might expect that gender, gender roles, and the human experience
of being male or female could make a difference to those who work
with any kind of social research or research involving human action
or interaction, including much design.

One of the key questions in management studies, for example, is
whether women bring different skills and qualities to leadership than
men do. While one might say they do, others argue that successful
women take on the skills and qualities necessary for success in a
role by virtue of inhabiting the role. Some women take on
characteristics formerly attributed to men as they begin to occupy
positions formerly restricted to men. A female soldier or fighter
pilot must be a warrior as a man is, prepared to do battle, to kill,
and to win.

In Scandinavia, many professions once assumed to be male professions
have been changing. Many of our prime ministers and presidents are
women, or will be if their parties win election. Some of you know my
wife Ditte, a deacon and theologian in the Church of Sweden. When she
was a canon at Lund Cathdral, she worked for Christina Odenberg, the
first female bishop. Over the past decade, the number of female
bishops has grown to three. Like the fellows of the Chartered Society
of Designers, this number should increase as the eligible cohort of
female priests continues to grow. The Rt. Rev. Bishop Odenberg also
broke gender barriers as a priest, when she began a sideline career
as one of Sweden's first female jockeys.

The question of female ordination remains a point of contention in
many religious denominations -- including some denominations where
the church accepts female ordination while some bishops and
congregations do not. I was once headed toward a career in the
ministry. The school where I occasionally took courses and once or
twice taught has moved over the past three decades from an all-male
faculty to a faculty where most professors and the president are
women. At the time that our first female ministers were ordained,
however, it bothered many people. Many who had no interest in the
theological arguments that Biblical fundamentalists or Pauline
theologians adduce in their opposition to ordaining women still found
it difficult to accept the female ministry on purely conventional or
social grounds.

These issues are very much to the point in today's world. The answers
may not always be simple or straightforward.

Ursula LeGuin's fiction sheds interesting light on this. LeGuin is a
distinguished author who has chosen the genre of fantasy and science
fiction because they enable her to tinker with the workings of
culture, setting characters in them while asking how real women and
real men might address the challenges of worlds based on the premises
she sets out. Her Earthsea books are set in a world of magic in which
language and the names of things give them their substance. The first
three books -- written in the 1960s -- focus on the adventures of a
young, male wizard and his mostly male friends. She revisited the
world of Earthsea in 1990 and again in 2000 and 2001, this time
focusing on female protagonists, while addressing the issue of sexism
and gender bias in the wizard's profession. Women play the lead role
or central roles in other novels such as The Telling, or her recent
three novels Gifts, Voices, and Powers. I find this progression and
the way that a great female author give voice to these issues worth
reflection. LeGuin is one of the models in my research writing
workshops -- not for the science, but for the skill of giving voice
to ideas in a clear, elegant way.

For my money, Milena sums it up nicely. Worth a lot more than twenty cents.

Yours,

Ken

--

Reference

Wertheim, Margaret. 1997. Pythagoras's Trousers: God, Physics, and
the Gender Wars. London: Fourth Estate.

--

Carlos Sapochnik wrote:

Some years ago I looked up the gender balance (M/F) amongst the paid
members of the Chartered Society of Designers in London.
Unsurprisingly, it was  Associate Members 50/50, Members 65/35,
Fellows 90/10.

Fiona Jane Candy wrote:

In the textile workshop I saw and felt the ideas of cloth and its
construction from many threads and  materials, coming in from many
directions, compliant, interlaced, interwoven, sociable - knowledge
transmitted and acquired through empathy, touch, contemplation, mood,
emotion -  Softness and strength; chaos but also order.

In the games studio I saw and felt the ideas of war and survival,
killing and fighting,  winning and losing, self sufficiency and
decisiveness-knowledge transmitted and acquired through cognition,
action, strategy, emotion - Strength and weakness;  order but also
chaos.

This is a very impressionistic reply I know (not to mention
outrageously romantic) - but its an attempt to explain what I was
thinking and feeling as I encountered the two studio spaces and
experienced their contrasts and similarities and what I meant how
ways of thinking are made material and palpable by (what can be
realistically described as) gendered disciplines.

Milena Droumeva wrote:

I don't think the issue is that anyone is trying  to diminish the
'professionalism' quality of profession by suggesting that the
experiences of men and women, both in the world (socialization)  and
at work (professionalization) and in terms of family (as another
arena of adult life) may be (and I'm saying may be) fundamentally
different. In the realm of design, both its theory and its practice,
I believe it is the same - the fundamentally different gendered
experiences that men and women designers being to the field do indeed
lead (I think - I have no 'proof' off hand) to approaching design in
different ways, using different methods, having different design
priorities, sensibilities and intuitions. And I think such
perspectives have to be cherished and recognized, not denied their
existence! I think if anything, recognizing and fostering such
differences enriches the field of design, not make it less
'professional'

--

Ken Friedman
Professor