PHD-DESIGN  January 2008

PHD-DESIGN January 2008

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

The Entailments of History -- [Was: language and fiction]

Ken Friedman <[log in to unmask]>

Ken Friedman <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 28 Jan 2008 01:00:47 +0100

text/plain

Dear Klaus,

Thanks for your post. After Lubomir's note, I was
thinking of saying that I, too, would give this
thread a rest. You've asked a fair question,
though, and this deserves a response. What
follows seems straightforward to me, so plain
that some readers will think me foolish for even
stating this. For anyone tired of this, my
apologies.

In your last post, you wrote:

--snip--

in logical terms: "if A = X and B entails X
(having been stated separately) it follows that A
entails X."

--snip--

The problem is that this was not your original
syllogism. In your original syllogism, you said,

If A entails X and B entails X, then A = B.

where

A is (fiction)

B is (history)

X is (created, composed, sorted out and rearranged for others to make sense of)

My argument is that both fiction and history -- A
and B -- have other, different, entailments.

Following this post, I include the etymology and
definitions of "fiction" and "history" from
Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary and the
Oxford English Dictionary. There are
commonalities and common points in etymology and
meaning -- just as you argue. But some of these
are now obsolete or archaic, and the general
meaning of each word is conditioned by key
factors. I see these key factors as the
entailments of each term. There may be more
entailments, but these are necessary and
sufficient for the argument that follows. They
are necessary for historiography and writing
history, but they may not be sufficient for
historiographic practice and writing history.

These are the symbols for the entailments summarized in these definitions.

T is (truth claim)

E is (evidentiary foundation)

IT is (irrelevance of truth)

IE is (irrelevance of evidence)

DR is (acknowledged disregard for reality as
comprehensive condition of the work)

RR is (acknowledged goal of representing reality
as comprehensive condition of the work)

A entails X + IT + IE + DR

B entails X + T + E + RR

therefore

A =/= B

A is not equal to B

The purposes, processes, and content of writing
fiction differ to those of writing history. Two
common entailments to not create an equality
between fiction and history because the other
entailments differ.

Before wrapping this up, I'll address two issues.

In your last post, you wrote:

--snip--

in logical terms: "if A = X and B entails X
(having been stated separately) it follows that A
entails X."

--snip--

This is also incorrect.

The correct syllogism would be:

If A = X and B entails X, then B entails A.

The equivalent syllogism would be

If X = A and B entails X then B entails A.

But this is only true if A = X, that is, if they are the same.

This is not your original syllogism. Your original claim was

A entails X and B entails X, therefore A = B.

There is a second problem. The original syllogism
did not state that entailment X (created,
composed, sorted out and rearranged for others to
make sense of) is the ONLY entailment of either.

If you parse your original sentence in a specific
way, then you are saying that A = B >>with<< the
"claim that it is based on what happened." If you
want to sort out all those added entailments
carefully, you have to acknowledge that this
involves more than a single WITH.

Those other entailments of purpose, process, and
content are the stuff of history.

Now I do not and never did claim that an
historian records as a video camera might record.
If one were able to do so, which is not the case,
it would not be history. History requires
creation, composition, sorting, and arrangement
along with all those other entailments I describe
and more besides.

But evidence has something to do with it. Victor
mentioned the Holocaust. What do we see when we
look at those dead bodies piled up like raked
leaves in the films of liberated camps? What do
we see when we look at those walking skeletons in
their threadbare, striped uniforms? Did something
"happen" here? When we argue that something
"happened" here, it is merely a "claim." When an
historian states that this was a death camp, that
crimes took place here, is this nothing more than
a fiction "with the claim that it is based on
what happened".

I mentioned the invasion of Iraq the issue of
civilian deaths. Again, something "happened"
here. At least the World Health Organization
thinks so, and so do the editors and reviewers at
Nature. Is this merely a "claim"? In my view a
"claim" in which history and fiction got confused
took place when George W. Bush and Dick Cheney
claimed that the Iraqis "helped Al Quaida destroy
the World Trade Center." When everyone realized
that Hussein and bin Laden weren't on speaking
terms, they changed the story to "weapons of mass
destruction." As head of the United Nations
Monitoring, Verification and Inspection
Commission, Hans Blix sought evidence for this
claim and found none.

The reason I bring these examples up again is
that it seems to me you have avoided addressing
examples that make it difficult to hold the
position that history is fiction. Few of us on
this list have been personally affected by these
incidents in a direct way that we can directly
attribute to either the Holocaust or the invasion
of Iraq. Surely there are some who have been, but
these must be few of the 1400 or so subscribers.
By direct, I mean, there we were, we witnessed
it, what we witnessed or what happened required
us to respond in some way comparable to an
affordance. So what are we to make of these
examples? Those films? The global dismay and
turbulence arising from the invasion? Perhaps
it's only just a story -- I mean something
happened, sure, but we never really met those
people who vanished in either event, so how do we
know that either event actually took place? All
most of us know about the invasion or the
Holocaust comes from accounts that other people
have assembled. These accounts are imperfect,
often inconsistent, and generally based on
evidence that in many cases is not first hand. Is
this "fiction"?

History involves evidence and facts imperfectly
understood and always interpreted through a
personal framework. The assertion of history is
that history involves things that happened, no
matter how imperfectly we understand or report
those happenings. History involves a specific
kind of claim: a truth claim. I'd argue that
there is a difference between this imperfect and
never fully reliable truth and fiction. It is a
truth that we never fully know and a truth that
we understand differently with every new
interpretation, and it is nevertheless different
to fiction.

This is far from design research. I answered because you asked.

Yours,

Ken