PHD-DESIGN  January 2008

PHD-DESIGN January 2008

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: PHD-DESIGN Digest - 22 Jan 2008 to 23 Jan 2008 (#2008-18)

Tom Loveday <[log in to unmask]>

Tom Loveday <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 24 Jan 2008 12:44:01 +1100

text/plain

Dear All,

"Verum et Factum Covertuntur" Giambattista Vico. But this doesn't mean that we should confuse the two.

Representation has a different role with either verifiable truth (verum) or with what is made (factum)

Language must act as representation when applied to verum. It must be reduced to the thinnest possible, non-metaphorical image of reality, as in scientific use of abstract symbols. There is no room in language, when it is used to represent verum, for a leak between such things as political and electrical versions of "resistance." "R" is "R" and can only relate to other forces through an equation: R=V/I.

Language used to represent factum must consider its terms as metaphors. A made reality is always in terms of other realities, so such things as resistance cab reveal new facts when the connection between politics and electricity become important. the recent energy blockade of the Gaza strip provides scenario where this might occur. New ays of grasping resistance might be found by merging the significance of electricity, resistance and politics.

Of course all language is a third space in which both these uses of language, and others, move and shake our reality. Can any of us ever say conclusively that we know the truth? and yet there are ways in which we operate that assume absolute knowledge (such as resistance).

Perhaps we might think more closely not about the question of fiction, but about the motives for claiming that certain forms of language are capable of creating truth.

Dr T

PS, I hope I have sent this in correctly. If I haven't, apologies to Ken.