Re: Disciplines, Fuss, etc.

Ken Friedman <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 30 Sep 2007 08:21:16 +0200

text/plain

Dear Klaus,

While some of your points are well taken, you start with a common
historical error. The noun discipline does not come from the verb
discipline. The noun came first, itself related to the earlier noun
"disciple" or student. According to some sources, the noun appeared
in the 13th century, and the transitive verb descended from it in the
14th century. Other sources show 11th and 12th centuries
respectively. In all cases, the noun comes first, beginning in words
that have to do with education and teaching, the instruction of
disciples.

In all this talk about disciplines, undisciplined, etc., two key
issues remain. You point to one of them, but not to the other. You
point to the importance of accountability, a key aspect of good
professional practice in every profession. The other is the nature of
artisan crafts guild culture.

All cultures have some way to deal with behavior that violates or
transcends cultural norms. Many cultures punish productive or
potentially useful new behaviors as severely as they punish
destructive or damaging behaviors. Whether we call it a "discipline"
or not, the crafts guild tradition in most design schools and design
studios functions to preserve cultural cohesion, often doing so at
the price of individual subordination of the student to a teacher.
Similiar mechanisms in professional design firms govern the relations
of the junior designers to the senior designers.

Byrne and Sands (2001) examine the ways in which the apprentice
system of the crafts guilds still affects the professional trajectory
of the individual designers and the performance of design firms. I
have also discussed these issue (Friedman 1997).

As long as design is practiced in firms and taught in schools, design
students and designers will be subject to the problems that face all
human beings located in human cultures and the institutions to which
human cultures give rise. In that sense, to be "undisciplined" is an
aspiration rather than a general condition.

In my view, the value of independent research is that it allows us to
break free of some bounds, thinking our way through to new
possibilities outside the conventional practices of the artisan guild
culture that have governed the professions for centuries, whatever
form the governance mechanisms take.

We need both, to be sure. The skills and judgement developed through
centuries of unfolding practice and honed through the years of an
individual career preserve vital knowledge and information, knowledge
and information we do not need to develop from scratch every time.
The fact also remains that we develop these skills through behavior
modification as well as conscious learning, and we internalize them
as unconscious patterned behavioral repertoires or habitual action.
The ability to look beyond and choose when not to use habit as as
important as the ability to use habit successfully.

To speak of design remaining "undisciplined" refers to is this last
ability. This is impossible: the design profession and design
cultures are inevitably disciplined or profession-bound or governed
under sanctions or culturally contingent -- you may choose the term
you prefer among roughly equivalent descriptions.

What I'd hope for is that individual designers can become
undisciplined when they need to do so.

But let's be clear here: any designer, design teacher, or design
student who violates cultural norms enough to be seen be his or her
peers as entirely undisciplined is going to be unwelcome in some
circles. When I developed Scandinavia's first courses in strategic
design at the end of the 1980s, some professors at the local design
school were eager to add it to the curriculum while others thought it
did not belong in a design school. After two years of debate, the man
who was then professor of industrial design made it clear he would
never approve and suggested I take the idea to a business school. I
did -- a good choice for my research career, as it turned out. Twenty
years on, the kinds of issues and offerings in that course are now
central to many innovative design programs. I'm sure these programs
are probably having difficult time dealing with and embracing the
ideas of some other researcher.

While stories like this have some kind of mild emotional charge on an
individual level, this is how cultures maintain themselves. This has
good consequences and bad. I'm sure the industrial design professor
was quite right, except that he was right for the 1950s when he got
his education, and he was not right for a design school that was
trying to develop a research culture and a doctoral program.

Choosing the title "undisciplined" for the 2008 Design Research
Society conference in Sheffield offers an opportunity to examine
these problems. It's a good title, despite its ambiguity. (David
Durling and I suggested the title "new and hybrid disciplines." Our
colleagues rejected this as exact but boring. Something about a horse
pulling milady's carriage ...)

One needs both kinds of pull in any lively profession -- disciplined
action and undisciplined inquiry or adventure.

To suggest that we are all undisciplined and free-wheeling doesn't
fit the reality. I recall one time I spoke on design research to a
conference of about 300 designers. Walking in to the hall, I was
astonished to find myself speaking to a sea of black. Looked like a
Jesuit prayer meeting -- head to toe, black suits, black dresses,
black blouses, black shirts. I wore the only white shirt in the room.
There was some color, though: scattered among the all-black
ensembles, one occasionally saw bright eyeglass frames, a spiky
colored ear-ring dangling from one ear, or a flashy pink and green
hairdo. In that context, I felt quite undisciplined. My audience
looked like a roomful of newly-commissioned lieutenants in some
strange new army. Since they came from schools and departments in
many different places, all meeting for the first time that morning,
I'd have to say that their culture disciplined them to dress as they
did. During the course of the day, I discovered that their thoughts
and behavioral patterns were also cut to the same measure.

It is difficult for the design field to remain what it has never
been: undisciplined. Seeking a new and richer balance is possible.

Ken