Re: a question

Norm Sheehan <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 6 Aug 2007 14:13:08 +1000

text/plain

Dear Ken, David and others

I guess the point of the knowing the knowledge of others questions is that the way to solve this issues and related problems is to approach and engage with others on their own terms. If the other teaches you their knowing then they will tell you when you understand it! This is an immersion approach because at the same time as coming to know you are trained in that particular culture's methodologies and hence come into contact with another's ethics concerning knowledge. This is a deeper challenge because such concerns reveal the great variety of ontological positions possible in this world. It is also a very difficult design problem ... how does one position a study so that it will engage with others in a way that cedes ownership of knowing to this research 'subject' (given that you do not know the knowing of this other).

The great advantage of design is that it is visual (sometimes) and when it is it easily and effectively accommodates cultural, social and linguistic difference -  John Bradley has done exceptional (design/anthropology) work in this area with Yanuwya people in the Northern Territory Australia.

Anthropology is directly related to design because just as designs are social things many social things are designs. We play out our humanness through objects/artefacts - we also humanize the abstract by socially addressing abstract things as if they were object/artefacts. Ken's analysis is sublime in this regard because the definition "[devise] courses of action aimed at changing existing situations into preferred ones" also applies to research design ... devising research methodologies in ways that limit or erase dominance with the aim of fostering the voice -and therefore the knowing of the other is one aspect of this work. But I would also like to address another aspect that I feel is crucial for design research.

Anthropology is entangled with design through the many material and social ways that different cultures employ design and devise the social meanings of objects. Integral to this is the ways some social ideas come to be addressed, expressed and protected as if they were objects. In anthropological terms each object has an abstract "being" which is evident in some contexts because it attracts social agency that often defines the object/abstract in ways that deviate greatly from appearances, utility and design intention. Design is therefore a relational and social practice - anthropology/social science addresses these areas and provides some directions that greatly interest me as a designer.

Bhaskar critically analysed the predominance of science as a social investigation method in modern society. He put forward the view that what was needed for science to come to terms with understanding the social was a deeper and more layered ontology. In this view the materialism, empiricism and positivism inherent in this science are problematic because while they do have a methodological integrity they enforce a single level ontology. According to Bhaskar the desire to adhere to this ontological deficiency was evidence of social understandings operating in a relational manner ... i.e. a theory of explanation for being is introduced to a society which is intelligent and comes to believe in it. This belief skews social being and the society begins to operate in ways that generate information which supports the theory of explanation. Scientism is presented in this view as a similar social operation to that at work in evangelicalism or any other belief system - except that such a social belief in epistemology has deep dangers (epistemology presented as ontology - social presented as objective etc.).

The point made by Bhaskar is that, because society is a grouping of alive and active agents who believe, inquiry will always be subverted unless the theory of explanation has a rich and layered ontological basis. A layered ontology accommodates investigations that reveal and analyse patterns of movement and change at multiple layers in attitudes and responses rather than delimiting to observables and proposing overarching explanations.  I remember a similar excellent analysis from a basis in Greek philosophy made by David Sless in 1991.

Scientific inquiry is incredibly effective but ontological deficiencies both socially and methodologically preclude understandings that are necessary in complex social and environmental contexts. Indeed the ontological shallowness of science serves material production schemas very well and the huge moral and material investments that social groups have made to this shallow ontology can be seen as significant factors in generating and perpetuating the socio/environmental problems that science has identified and attempts to address.

The key observation from this approach is that scientific investigations in these contexts are recursive because when science successfully addresses a social/environmental problem it is also in a social sense verifying the shallow ontological perspective - which impinges upon and may be a causal factor in the problem space. In this way solution spaces are auto-contaminated and skewed in directions aligned with social investment - so only some (or someone's) problems are actually seen. So social or environmental disasters suddenly appear.

In this way the design of research processes that are multi-layered in problem identification may be more significant than research focused on problem solution. This is due to science and its' society lacking the ontological depth to identify and include their own methodological processes as integral to problem trajectories (a postmodern version of Cartesian anxiety & perhaps one best expressed by Heidegger in his focus on what is not happening).

So the opportunity for design I see is that in an adjustment from the normative process where anthropology inquires into socio-cultural understanding through the medium of design ... design may be repositioned as a medium for developing co-participatory methods for the understanding of social understandings ...projects that foster the development of ontological depth through/for research.

This is essentially the issue in Indigenous rights courses that I teach using Indigenous Knowledge methods because design is in an Indigenous Knowledge perspective a deeper science (science with a layered and complex ontology).

This is the approach I am working towards in my current research practice with a few postgraduate students and a very small budget. I believe these areas would be a great basis for some sharing, debate and discussion - and more importantly some methodological development. I trust that these potentialities will strike a chord with some on the list.

Norm