PHD-DESIGN  July 2007

PHD-DESIGN July 2007

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Colonialism -- a Carefully Delimited Response -- Quick Reply to Norm Sheehan

Norm Sheehan <[log in to unmask]>

Norm Sheehan <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 31 Jul 2007 14:42:54 +1000

text/plain

Dear Ken and Lubomir,

Dear Lubomir & Ken

Please remember in my post I was addressing Mead's work with the title:-
Coming of age in Samoa: a psychological study of primitive youth for
Western civilization - as a value neutral scientific study this does
seem a slightly prejudicial title even for the early 20th century?

I apologise for my flippancy in referring to this work on the discussion
list - I trust that you may understand that this attitude of mine arises
from being a member of a community that has often been subject to such
'scientific' investigation. We share a lot of stories about the
stupidity of anthropologists mainly to make us feel good. In this regard
I speak to the context of this study which occurred in colonized space,
a place that I know well.

There are two aspects to my reply; the first being anthropological
science in colonial contexts for Lubomir.

I enjoyed the poetic quote on the list; an aspect of creativity as a
theft... the colonial agency in anthropology may also be seen as a kind
of theft that sees something in another's culture that is valuable for
the colonial project. For example it is contingent to attribute
categorisations of lesser being such as primitive to other peoples
because then all kinds of atrocities can be committed against them
without regret or remorse.  I assumed that of all people Europeans would
be highly aware of this given the acts of anthropology in Germany
through very similar racial categorisation schemas invented and then
applied to Jews, Slavs, Romany peoples and others....given that this is
a similar fundamental bias in anthropological inquiry to Mead's ... that
led through the categorisation of others to equally devastating
outcomes. I believe Levine has published much on the anthropology of the
Reich and there are many studies that address the employment of these
scientific classifications of others to inform the structuring of White
privilege in colonial places. These works are challenging to read but
essential if we wish to address the nature of inquiry across social and
cultural difference in places where extreme dominance is enacted by one
group of humans on another.

You may also be aware that at the time this work was published the
forced and coerced removal on workers from Pacific Islands to serve as
virtual slaves on plantations in Fiji and Australia was continuing
despite bans by the British colonial office. There was often a shortage
of men on these islands as a result. In Queensland Australia at this
time the entire Aboriginal and Islander population was interred in camps
(called missions) where forced cultural conversion and eugenics were
openly practiced. Employed as domestic servants or plantation workers
the wages of these inmates were collected and retained by Government to
fund their internment and other 'public works'. Huge amounts of money
accrued in these accounts over generations between 1878 and 1984 when
the policy was finally repealed. The full repatriation of funds to
surviving members of this group has yet to be made. Anti-slavery
International has documented such colonial agencies since 1848 and there
is convincing evidence that certain German anthropologists investigated
this model system for the control of lesser races in Queensland during
the 1930's.

At the time of Mead's study most people in Samoa and the vast majority
of Pacific nations were under the control of strictly fundamental
Christian missions through the actions of organisations such as the
London Missionary Society which commenced in 1878 and quickly enforced a
moral code in these places. Women wore mission-dress - neck to ankle &
wrist cotton covering to ensure modesty. Mission life was harsh but it
afforded some protection from the constant predations of colonial
agency. The lure of free love in places where primitive young women are
'wanton' and lonely attracts a particularly persistent kind of
'civilized' inquiry. If there was free sexuality of the kind popularised
it would most probably be a result of the destruction of 'primitive'
social order?

The kind of predation fostered by Mead's work has led to studies that
investigate the psychology of colonialism. In settler society the
primitive becomes a socially sanctioned bad-object which is free from
the constraints of civilisation and therefore has no constraints and
thus is in need of control. All of this is characterized as transference
because the understanding ignores the constraints of Indigenous society.
Thus the primitive carries the load of projected bad impulses arising
from the coloniser breaking his/her own social constraints. Very
interesting possibilities arise from these mostly feminist
investigations. See Hanna Arendt's work in general, Oliver, K. (2004)
The colonization of psychic space: a psychoanalytic social theory of
oppression University of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis, and Moran's
Psychodynamics of settler- nationalism.

I trust that you might understand from this brief contextualisation that
in some contexts science is a game open to all for their choosing but in
others science is still a game but the free decision to play or not
often depends upon which end of a gun you are standing or if you wish to
eat or not. It is not possible to disentangle science from the social
movement it informs so it is often in error and sometimes complicit;
also science is always done by humans who are open to bias and deceit
therefore science must always be open to critical questioning; indeed I
thought this was science?

The second part of my answer addresses Ken's questions concerning
anthropological method.

Another interesting assumption is the nature of a question and how the
social act of questioning may be seen in very different ways in
different cultures. A question in European language & culture may
position us to think of an answer- but in many Indigenous cultures
questioning is not a normal or accepted social practice. Indigenous
languages may not have interrogative devices of the same kind as English
and some have no interrogative means at all. Questioning in the context
of Mead's study may position informants to work very hard to devise and
supply the answer that they believe that the inquirer wants or needs.
Modern anthropology addresses these flaws in Mead's and other inquiry
based models. Across cultures the act of questioning is most often a
kind of intrusion that may at best instigate confusion and
self-consciousness. In such inquiries whole Indigenous groups have
demonstrated coordinated and intelligent resistance to such intrusions.

Key issues for inquiry models for cultural anthropology are encapsulated
in the following questions:- is it possible to know the knowing of
others? And if theirs is not our knowing how then can/do we know when we
know it?

Which gives rise to the methodological issue:- is it possible to inquire
into the knowledge of others without changing it? Asking questions may
cause an intelligent and equal subject to readdress their knowing and
change it! Questioning is fraught with these concerns. The device
'primitive' negated such methodological concerns because of the
objectification alluded to above.

This prompts another question:- if we inquire into the knowledge of
others how do we know if they are telling us the truth? Is truth a
significant or even existent subject in their language and culture?
Indeed is it possible from their place in knowing to communicate their
truth to us in our language of inquiry so we may understand it as they
do?

After these it might be apt to visit the inquirers right to know? Does
the culture have sanctions on knowing? Etc etc.

Inquiry models ignore these fundamental questions and so tend to be
primarily processes of contingent image generation; a form of design
which is a socio-cultural expedient of the colonising group. (which
provides many excellent opportunities for education please see other
post).
Many works exist in this area from Vine Deloria Jnr, Marie Battiste,
Taiaiake Alfred and more recently Martin Nakata's Disciplining the
Savages; Savaging the Disciplines.

In this sense colonial inquiry is in accord with colonial projects
because it is a visit that becomes an occupation - which erases
revisitations to the initial reality. Contesting past versions of these
constructions is an internal revisitation that builds on the initial
error- i.e. that the artefact produced to represent the experience of
the other is or can be the experience of this other. It is the ways that
we contest these artefacts that is most significant and may be
interpreted (other post).

Neo-colonial projects derive their agency from revisitations to past
representations of others and employ these as a basis for contemporary
understandings. These internal revisitations are necessary because they
blind us to the ways that the events of the past impacted on original
populations. This denial is a theft of significance because it occupies
and limits present understanding for the settler society while enacting
a new more passive violence on the colonized.

In Indigenous understanding the issue is not the validity of different
versions of this past but the fact that the initial reality of our
particular past unlike the past of empire or science can not be
revisited. The primary action of colonialism was the violent destruction
of our past realities and the secondary action (the actual project of
contestation) is to conceal the reality of this violence. In Indigenous
studies this is another layer of objectification for the Indigenous
primitive where this identity serves as the object for a shared form of
persecutory anxiety within the settler social psyche. Settlers fear the
re-cognition of their own violence embodied in the dispossession of the
'primitive'. The colonial margins truly are the margins where European
sensibilities suffer; but this is also transference. It is the faux pain
of self-recognition in the mirror of colonised space. The ways that
these self images emerge and are deemed social agency in settler society
provide another design-human rights education opportunity in terms of my
one of the easier and cheaper options in this context for the settler
group is the complete erasure of the Indigenous (new works are emerging
in this design related social psychological area from my team at
present).

Apologies if this thread is on the edge for some of you and thanks Ken
for your questions that allowed me rethink a few issues of import for my
work.

For those who wish to see good works Immersion techniques in
anthropology have been around for some time and are truly valuable for
developing cross-cultural knowledge in contested zones ... among which
the works of Deborah Bird Rose ANU and John Bradley a colleague at
Monash University are models of excellent practice.

Yamin Ya

Norm