PHD-DESIGN  July 2007

PHD-DESIGN July 2007

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: [Fwd: Re: [PHD-DESIGN] SV: Mythologies of anthropology and design]

Ranjan MP <[log in to unmask]>

Ranjan MP <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 29 Jul 2007 18:01:26 +0530

text/plain

Dear Professor Buchanan

I have misunderstood your question. Sorry.

You ask "...is whether the ultimate test of the validity of a design is
acceptance by users?"

My simple answer to that question is that there is no ultimate validity
or truth that any design can have since each may have to be seen in the
context of the intentions of the designer and the socio-cultural and
temporal context that it is intended to serve. However my earlier answer
was not about validity in the logical sense but about the measure of
success of a design and this is measured by its acceptance in the market
or by society, as the case may be, although it can be measured by other
criteria as well, by groups of experts, by peers, by potential for the
future etc..

Design cannot be viewed independent of the context and an evaluation of
the impact of any particular design offering should be viewed within
that particular context and in the particular form in which it is
offered. Design without a context is an object without meaning although
each of us could give it new meaning in our own readings of that object
but the meaning then comes from our reading and is not from the object
itself.

So the term "validity" corresponds to truth and design is not about
truth but about reality. Science is about finding truths which design is
not. "Success" corresponds to achieving set goals and objectives and
here it would cover the intentions of the designer as well as the client
groups that we are out to serve.

There are many levels of design action, and I have defined four levels
of design action in a paper listed below for a conference in Brazil in
1998. Each of these levels uses varying types of knowledge and skills
and these actions can be categorised from the tactical to the strategic.
Some make small incremental changes while other offer radical
transformations. In my presentation at the IDSA conference last year I
shared a model of the expanding vortex of design where I have used the
stone in the pond metaphor again to show the expanding concerns of
design that are moving from material and structure, form and aesthetic,
to economy and society and environment, to politics, law and
ethics....all of which can show us another larger circle of concern and
substantially change the whole question of validity at each expanded
level of concern.

I hope that I have addressed your question adequately this time and i do
look forward to your critique and comments. I am concerned with ethics
and the interpretation of responsibility and would like to hear your
views on the matter.

With warm regards

M P Ranjan
from my office at NID
28 July 2007 at 5.55 pm IST

Prof M P Ranjan
Faculty of Design
Head, Centre for Bamboo Initiatives at NID (CFBI-NID)
Chairman, GeoVisualisation Task Group (DST, Govt. of India) (2006-2008)
National Institute of Design
Paldi
Ahmedabad 380 007 India

Tel: (off) 91 79 26623692 ext 1090