Re: needs, desires and problems

Terence Love <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 2 May 2007 22:33:59 +0800

text/plain

Hi Ranjan,

I think you misunderstood my post a little.

The target was primarily the weaknesses in meta- analysis of theory making
in design research rather than the subjects of those theories ( i.e. design
activity). I'm pointing primarily to the problems that result from design
researchers' fairly common conflation of  different _types_ of theory (as
well as theory about different aspects of design) and how they can be
avoided.  I'm suggesting not only that things must be separated into layers
of concepts and theories but for theory making a key factor of this
'separation into different layers of concepts' must be on grounds of clean
epistemological distinction. I.e. avoiding epistemic/conceptual overlaps
because these introduce ambiguity, lose conceptual integrity, introduce
unnecessary interdependency, massively increase the opacity and create the
opportunity for duplicate theories.
This latter is a significant problem in design research.  Across the
literature there are many multiple, relatively weakly justified theories and
concepts that cover the same territory of the study of design activity in
ways that are loosely defined (Klaus/Dick if you dispute - see the
references and analyses in Love (1998)). This problem has resulted in
significant research resources in the field going into building new theory
on poor foundations and on discussion and dispute between people putting
forward competing theories.

I'm suggesting that one of the reasons that design research has been very
slow to advance is that theory making has been very poorly done by design
researchers because of this problematic habit of conflation and lack of
conceptual discrimination in design research. The pace of development is so
slow that many  of the theories presented as 'new' today were common
currency in the 1960s and 70s. In deference to Klaus and Dick, I've attached
a list of publications from that era  below that address much of the same
theory territory as proposals I've read in Phd-design recently. The
publications from 30 years ago below also include some that caution against
the above problems of poor theory making in design research and the effect
that it has had on the field.

Just to confirm I'm not arguing against conflation in _design activity_.
It's absolutely essential because it provides the means of bridging between
things. It's one of the key processes in the essence of what Chris has
recently been talking about in generating new ideas from making things
rather than reasoning. I'm arguing against careless conflation in design
research.

Warm regards,

Terry

Love, T. (1998). Social, Environmental and Ethical Factors in Engineering
Design Theory: a Post-positivist Approach. Perth, Western Australia: Praxis
Education.

Akin, O. (1979). Exploration of the Design Process. Design Methods and
Theories, 13(3/4).
Alexander, C. (1963). The Determination of Components for an Indian Village.
In J. C. Jones & D. G. Thornley (Eds.), Conference on Design Methods. New
York: Macmillan.
Alexander, C. (1979). The Timeless Way of Building. New York: Oxford
University Press.
Alexander, C., & al., e. (1977). A Pattern Language. New York: Oxford
University Press.
Alexander, C., Ishikawa, S., Silverstein, M., & al., J. e. (1977). A Pattern
Language. New York: Oxford University Press.
Altman, S. M. (1974). How long can we go on this way? In W. Spillers (Ed.),
Basic Questions of Design Theory. Amsterdam: North-Holland Publishing
Company.
Archer, L. B. (1965). Systematic Methods for Designers. London: Design
Council.
Archer, L. B. (1968). Structure of Design Processes. London: Royal College
of Art.
Archer, L. B. (1973). Development of Mathematical and Operational Modelling
Techniques for Application in Equipment Design. SRC Report. London: Royal
College of Art.
Archer, L. B. (1979a). The Three Rs. Design Studies, 1(1).
Archer, L. B. (1979b). Whatever became of Design Methodology? Design
Studies, 1(1).
Asimow, M. (1962). Introduction to design. New York: Prentice-Hall.
Bazjanac, V. (1974). Architectural Design Theory: Models of the Design
Process. In W. Spillers (Ed.), Basic Questions of Design Theory. Amsterdam:
North-Holland Publishing Company.
Beer, S. (1974). Designing Freedom. London: John Wiley and Sons.
Board of Directors ECPD Inc. (1977). Engineers' Council for Professional
Development. Code of Ethics. In J. H. Schaub & S. K. Dickison (Eds.),
Engineering and Humanities. USA: James Wiley & Sons Inc.
Broadbent, G. (1973). Design in Architecture. London: Wiley.
Brotchie, J. A. (1974). Urban Design. In W. Spillers (Ed.), Basic Questions
of Design Theory. Amsterdam: North-Holland Publishing Company.
Buhl, H. R. (1960). Creative Engineering design. Ames, Iowa: The Iowa State
University Press.
Calahan, D. A. (1974). Exploiting Palallelism in Design Algorithms. In W.
Spillers (Ed.), Basic Questions of Design Theory. Amsterdam: North-Holland
Publishing Company.
Carter, H. (1972). The Study of Urban Geography. London: Edward Arnold Ltd.
Cross, N., & al, e. (Eds.). (1974). Man-Made Futures. London: Hutchinson &
Co (Publishers) Ltd.
Darke, J. (1979). The Primary Generator and the Design Process. In N. Cross
(Ed.), Developments in Design Methodology. London: John Wiley and Sons Ltd.
Director, S. W. (1974). Towards Automated Design of Integrated Circuits. In
W. Spillers (Ed.), Basic Questions of Design Theory. Amsterdam:
North-Holland Publishing Company.
Downs, D. (1978). The Socially Acceptable Power Plant. Proceedings of the I.
Mech. E., 192(33).
Duggan, T. V. (1970). Applied Engineering Design and Analysis. London:
Iliffe Books.
Eastman, C. (1968). Explorations of the Cognitive Processes in Design (PhD
thesis). Pittsburgh: Carnegie-Mellon University.
Eder, W. E. (1966). Definitions and Methodologies. In S. A. Gregory (Ed.),
The Design Method (pp. 19-31). London: Butterworths.
Editorial. (1979). Design as a Discipline. Design Studies, 1(1).
Fielden, G. B. R. (1963). Engineering Design (The Fielden Report). London:
H.M.S.O.
Forrester, J. W. (1968). Market Growth as Influenced by Capital Investment.
Industrial Management Review, 9(2).
Gasparski, W. W. (1979). Praxiological-systemic approach to design studies.
Design Studies, 1(2), 101-106.
Gero, J. (1974). Ethics in computer-aided design: a polemic. In W. Spillers
(Ed.), Basic Questions of Design Theory. Amsterdam: North-Holland Publishing
Company.
Glegg, G. L. (1969). The Science of Design. Cambridge: Cambridge University
Press.
Glegg, G. L. (1971). The Design of Design. Cambridge, UK: The University
Press.
Glegg, G. L. (1972). The Selection of Design. Cambridge: Cambridge
University Press.
Graham, S. (1974). The Design of Programming Languages. In W. Spillers
(Ed.), Basic Questions of Design Theory. Amsterdam: North-Holland Publishing
Company.
Gregory, S. A. (1966). The Design Method. London: Butterworths.
Gregory, S. A. (1966a). Design Science. In S. A. Gregory (Ed.), The Design
Method. London: Butterworths.
Gregory, S. A. (1966b). The Human Perspective, the Design Situation and its
Opportunities. In S. A. Gregory (Ed.), The Design Method. London:
Butterworths.
Gregory, S. A. (Ed.). (1966). The Design Method. London: Butterworths.
Harrison, M. A. (1974). Some Linguistic Issues in Design. In W. Spillers
(Ed.), Basic Questions of Design Theory. Amsterdam: North-Holland Publishing
Company.
Hillier, B. (1972). Knowledge and Design. In N. Cross (Ed.), Developments in
Design Methodology. London: John Wiley and Sons Ltd.
Himmelblau, D. M. (1974). Design in Chemical Engineering. In W. R. Spillers
(Ed.), Basic Questions of Design Theory. Amsterdam: North-Holland Publishing
Company.
Jones, J. C. (1966). Design Methods Reviewed. In S. A. Gregory (Ed.), The
Design Method. London: Butterworths.
Jones, J. C. (1970). Design Methods: seeds of human futures. London:
Wiley-Interscience.
Jones, J. C., & Thornley, D. G. (Eds.). (1963). Conference on design methods
: papers presented at the Conference on Systematic and Intuitive Methods in
Engineering, Industrial design, Architecture and Communications, London,
September 1962. Oxford: Pergamon Press.
Kranzberg, M. (1977). Ecology of Technology. In J. H. Schaub & S. K.
Dickison (Eds.), Engineering and Humanities. USA: James Wiley & Sons Inc.
Leech, D. J. (1972). Management of Engineering Design. London: John Wiley &
Sons.
Levin, P. H. (1966). Decision-making in Urban Design. In N. Cross (Ed.),
Developments in Design Methodology. London: John Wiley and Sons Ltd.
Lewis, B. N. (1964). Communication in Problem Solving Groups. In J. C. Jones
& D. G. Thornley (Eds.), Conference on design methods (pp. 169-184). New
York: Macmillan.
Maslow, A. H. (1970). Motivation and personality. New York: Harper & Row,.
Matchett, E. (1963). The controlled evolution of an engineering design.
Paper presented at the Conference on Systematic Design Methods.
Matchett, M. (1967). FDM - a means of controlled thinking and personal
growth. In E. House (Ed.), Proceedings of the State Conference of Designers.
Bristol, England: Czechoslovakia Scientific and Technical Society.
Middendorf, W. H. (1969). Engineering Design. Boston, USA: Allyn and Bacon,
Inc.
Motard, R. L. (1974). Design Theory: a chemical engineering view. In W. R.
Spillers (Ed.), Basic Questions of Design Theory (pp. 143-146). Amsterdam:
North-Holland Publishing Company.
Nevill, J. G. E., & Crowe, R. A. (1974). Computer augmented conceptual
design. In W. R. Spillers (Ed.), Basic Questions of Design Theory.
Amsterdam: North-Holland Publishing Company.
O'Doherty, E. F. (1964). Psychological Aspects of the Creative Act. In J. C.
Jones & D. G. Thornley (Eds.), Conference on design methods (pp. 197-204).
New York: Macmillan.
Ostrofsky, B. (1977). Design, planning and development methodology. New
Jersey: Prentice-Hall, Inc.
Page, J. K. (1963). Review of papers presented at the conference. In J. C.
Jones & D. G. Thornley (Eds.), Conference on Design Methods. England:
Pergamon Press.
Perrow, C. (1967). A Framework for the Comparative Analysis of
Organisations. American Sociological Review, 32.
Powers, G. J., & Rudd, D. F. (1974). A theory for chemical engineering
design. In W. Spillers (Ed.), Basic Questions of Design Theory. Amsterdam:
North-Holland Publishing Company.
Purcell, T. A., Mallen, G. L., & Goumain, P. G. R. (1974). A Strategy for
Design Research. In W. Spillers (Ed.), Basic Questions of Design Theory.
Amsterdam: North-Holland Publishing Company.
Pye, D. (1964). The Nature of Design. London: Studio Vista Ltd.
Ramscar, M., Lee, J., & Pain, H. (1966). A cognitively based approach to
computer integration for design systems. Design Studies, 17(4), 465-488.
Rittel, H. W. J. (1971). Some Principles for the Design of an Educational
System For Design. Design Methods Group Newsletter, 4(4).
Rittel, H. W. J. (1972a). On the Planning Crisis: Systems Analysis of the
First and Second Generations. Bedriftsokonomen, 8.
Rittel, H. W. J. (1972b). Son of 'RittleThink', DMG  Occasional Paper No. 1
(Jan 1972). In n.a. (Ed.), Design Methods Group 5th Anniversary Report (pp.
5-10). na: Design Methods Group.
Rittel, H. W. J., & Webber, M. W. (1972). Dilemmas in a General Theory of
Planning, Working Paper, Institute of Urban Development, No 194. Berkely,
USA: University of California.
Roe, P. H., Soulis, G. N., & Handa, V. K. (1966). the discipline of design:
experimental edition. Waterloo, Canada: University of Waterloo.
Ross, I. M. (1966). Effect of Organisational Procedures on Design - An
Outline of the Problems. In S. A. Gregory (Ed.), The Design Method (pp.
269-277). London: Butterworths.
Schon, D. (1974). Design in the light of the year 2000. In N. Cross, D.
Elliott & R. Roy (Eds.), Man-made Futures. London: Hutchinson Education.
Siddall, J. N. (1972). Analytical Decision-making in Engineering Design. New
Jersey: Prentice-Hall, Inc.
Simon, H. A. (1969). The Sciences of the Artificial. Cambridge Mass: MIT
Press.
Simon, H. A. (1973). The Structure of Ill-structured Problems. In N. Cross
(Ed.), Developments in Design Methodology. London: John Wiley and Sons Ltd.
Slann, P. A. (1963). Foreword. In J. C. Jones & D. G. Thornley (Eds.),
Conference on design methods: London 1962 (pp. xi-xii). New York: The
Macmillan Company.
Spillers, W. R. (Ed.). (1974). Basic questions of Design Theory. Amsterdam:
North Holland Publishing Company.
Svennson, N. L. (1974). Introduction to Engineering Design (2nd ed.). NSW,
Australia: New South Wales Press Ltd.
Tart (Editor), C., T. (1969). Altered States of Consciousness: A book of
readings. USA: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Thomas, J. C., & Carroll, J. M. (1979). The Psychological Study of Design.
Design Studies, 1(1), 5-11.
Westcott, M. R. (1968). Toward a contemporary psychology of intuition : a
historical, theoretical, and empirical inquiry. New York: Holt Rinehart and
Winston.
Westerberg, A. W., Stephanopulous, G., & Shah, J. (1974). The Synthesis
Problem with Some Thoughts on Evolutionary Synthesis in the Design of
Engineering Systems. In W. Spillers (Ed.), Basic Questions of Design Theory.
Wong, A. K. C. (1974). Bioengineering design. In W. R. Spillers (Ed.), Basic
Questions of Design Theory. Amsterdam: North-Holland Publishing Company.
Woodson, T. T. (1966). Introduction to Engineering Design. New York:
McGraw-Hill Book Company.