Re: from Susan Crockford

Deb Bennett <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 13 Mar 2007 11:39:43 -0700

text/plain

My sympathies, dear. I was the tech. consultant for the Dreamworks animated
film "Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron" -- and although they did indeed
listen to me, and some of what I thought important actually made it to the
screen, Hollywood people often have the MOST peculiar ideas and POV. I am
very interested in the origin of dog breeds -- my work has been almost all
on horses, and I'll give you a couple of citations below re: my viewpoint on
how horse domestication came about -- but now it's time for me to learn more
about domestication as a global and multifaceted event, affecting many
species. Have you written a book and/or journal articles on this subject,
and if so, would you help me by giving the references? I will also watch the
TV show too of course, but that's harder to cite! Thanks very much --

Deb Bennett, Ph.D., Director
Equine Studies Institute
Livingston, Calif.

For horse domestication (wild subspecies that are the root populations from
which domestic horse breeds come): Bennett and Hoffmann, 1999 -- "Equus
caballus" in the American Society of Mammalogists' "Mammalian Species"
series. You can get the original publication, but a better (color) version
that you can download is running on-line at www.equinestudies.org in the
"Knowledge Base" section.

Horse domestication (transition from wild to domestic) -- there is wrong
data in there due to the mis-dating of the Dereivka site originally reported
by Anthony and Brown; this does not, however, fundamentally change the
story -- see Bennett, Deb. 1997. "Conquerors: The Roots of New World
Horsemanship". The first half of this book gives the Eurasian and
specifically Iberian background; it contains many old images very difficult
to find elsewhere. The book is all black and white, and this makes the
zoogeographic maps kind of hard to read -- so download the maps from the
Mammalian Species paper and use those instead.