Re: Gender

Richard Buchanan <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 22 Nov 2006 11:38:12 -0500

text/plain

Dear Grete,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences in such an interesting and
helpful post.  I'm not sure I can add much to the discussion at this point,
though I am following it with great interest.

But I do want to add a thought on writing.  Personally, I did not find your
writing style to be feminine, though I understand how it may be viewed s
such by Tannen's ideas.  To me, it is an engaging style, written in an
interesting and appropriate voice.  This style allows a person to explore
experience and ideas in a less dogmatic way, more open to questioning and
speculation.  This is valuable when dealing with difficult subjects.

There is a time and a place for other styles of writing, but I hope this
phdlist will become more of a place for exploration and diversity of
experiences and opinions than it perhaps as been in the past.  "We have much
to learn from each other and much to learn about design"-- I like to say
this at the end of my public talks.  Instead of attacking a view expressed
by someone, it is better to ask why the person said what they said--what can
I learn from this, even though I may disagree on first impression.  To me,
this is not feminine.  It is the true stance of inquiry.

It is wise to have a willing suspension of disbelief in these matters, since
we often learn more by listening carefully and even sympathetically.  Of
course, this does not mean that controversy is a bad thing.  Do you know
Dean Barnlund's article, "Communication:  The Context of Change"?  It was
written some time ago, but I ask my students read it because it says a lot
about human interaction--defensive behaviors in communication, the sources
of anxiety, and the value of differences of perspective and controversy as
we try to learn and grow.  I also ask my students to read Carl Rogers'
articles on ³Personal Thoughts on Teaching and Learning,² ³Significant
Learning: In Therapy and in Education,² and ³Dealing with Breakdowns in
Communication‹Interpersonal and Intergroup,² from his book On Becoming a
Person.  Again, a wise expression of the value of approaching communication
with care.

I find Tannen, Barnlund, and Rogers to be very helpful in understanding the
rhetorical dimensions of personal and social interaction.

Well, this post is already too long.  But I wanted to say something
substantive in response to your note.  I hope that this will not be regarded
as only a matter of gender but of good and effective communication--even
though we may talk about gender as an important topic for design.

Regards,

Richard

Richard Buchanan
Carnegie Mellon University