PHD-DESIGN  2006

PHD-DESIGN 2006

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

A thread about beginnings -- and the trajectory of invention and discovery

Ken Friedman <[log in to unmask]>

Ken Friedman <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:32:59 +0100

text/plain

Dear Colleagues,

The "doctor dropout" thread offers many "me, too," moments. The posts
from Dick Buchanan and Artemis Yagou especially caught my eye, each
for different reasons.

Dick's response to David Durling nicely states my reason for posting
the article from the Chronicle of Higher Education. This thread is
more about beginnings than endings. It is about how we can do things
better, and why improvements matter. Among other things, this
requires learning from failure. The issue is learning the right
lessons.

An intriguing conversation I had on Saturday sums up the issues we
are addressing here. One of my colleagues is interested in doing her
PhD. She recently received a tenured position after several years of
part-time work. She teaches future practitioners in highly rated
courses. She values good teaching, and she is respected as one of our
best teachers. She also has a lively consulting practice doing
workshops in her specialty for large Scandinavian companies. By all
measures, she is a great success.

She welcomes the security of a tenured faculty position. However, she
wants more than security and money. She wants to contribute from a
higher level of skill and knowledge than she now has. She is willing
to sacrifice several years of higher salary to buy the time for
research studies.

There are many reasons to earn a PhD. While the possibility of income
is one of them, there is no guarantee of long-term faculty employment
in higher education, the sector that formerly hired the greatest
number of graduated doctors. The one expectation we should have for a
PhD program is the opportunity to develop research skills, to deepen
knowledge, and to use the skills and knowledge for research or for
better professional practice.

While I understand Rob Curedale's view on lost income, Carl DiSalvo
has it right for most of us. Rob's problem is what we call a "luxury
problem" in Norway. He is a senior designer with extensive executive
experience. He works on the top of level of the profession. It has
been a long time since a PhD would have added much income to Rob's
lifetime potential. Rob earns so much money that he faces far greater
financial sacrifices than the rest of us might.

The half a million US dollars that Rob would lose is based on a far
higher salary than most of us make. A PhD takes three years in most
European programs and the five to six years in most American
programs. To lose half a million dollars, you'd have to earn an
annual salary of 135,000 Euros or 94,000 pounds in Europe for three
years of doctoral study. In the US, you would have to earn 100,000
dollars a year to lose half a million over the five years of an
American program. Most of us did not earn that much before our PhD or
after.

As Carl points out, there is a new profession emerging, and those
with solid research skills can undertake work that is paid at better
rates than those who lack those skills.

As it is, I know one designer on Rob's professional level who thought
that earning a research degree would serve his needs. He did his
doctorate part-time, and he is happy that he did. He is the principal
and CEO of his firm, so I doubt that he is earning more because of
it, but I do think the additional skill he brings to his work makes
his firm more valuable to his clients. This fact may well be
reflected in additional lifetime earnings for a firm in a highly
competitive field.

Peter Gariepy asks a good question, and I will give my answer. I
found earning a PhD rewarding. I was curious about some questions. I
needed tools to help me answer the questions. As I developed better
tools, answering questions uncovered deeper questions, and so on. It
is three decades since I finished my PhD. I still do not have all the
answers I sought. Even so, I have had a rewarding search, learning
much and gaining great value along the way, finding new questions to
explore, and managing to answer some of them. I also developed
practical tools and skills that enable me to serve others better. For
the record, I finished my PhD in 1976 when art and design schools had
little interest in research and no interest in hiring anyone with a
PhD in fields other than art history or design history. I made my
living doing many things until life finally brought me an academic
post in 1994.

David Durling and Klaus Krippendorff both seem to have had similar
experiences, each in different ways. It seems to me that Teena Clerk
and Susan Hagan are doing the same, much as Geoff Matthews did. Glenn
Johnson wondered about the element of self-actualization. It seems
that many of us spoke to self-actualization in some way. Some
addressed the way that doctoral education helped them to enrich and
actualize a life in design, some in education, all in research, and
all as human beings.

Teena puts the issue nicely, writing "I hope what is gained is to
learn how to question my knowledge, understand the ways in which this
knowledge is constructed, and to affect change in, or to contribute
to, the design discourse (my thesis forming part of this)." Design
research has many purposes. Some aspects of research inform design
practice, some aspects of research answer questions that may not have
immediate practical application: all affect change in and contribute
to the design discourse.

Earning a research doctorate involves developing research skills that
enable us to contribute to the discourse. This is different to a
professional doctorate enables us to do our job better. As Teena
notes, some doctoral projects provide "an opportunity to draw on the
'knowledge' of both practice and research by celebrating these
differences in choice, rather than feeling like there is no choice."

Education for an advanced research degree has several values. A
slight detour to the thread may shed light on some of these issues.

An article that I recently read asked whether a PhD is aimed at
research training or at making original contribution to knowledge.
The answer is both. Research training provides the skills that enable
one to contribute. The original contribution to knowledge
demonstrated in a thesis project shows that one has acquired the
craft of research in the same way that craft guild artisans made
their the journeyman piece to demonstrate their ability in craft
guild skills. The thesis culminates research education by
demonstrating the ability to conduct original research at a
journeyman level without the immediate supervision of a senior
researcher. The criterion of an "original contribution to knowledge"
does not require a major contribution. The criterion requires an
ORIGINAL contribution of some kind, large or small.

Much as a journeyman piece required the apprentice craft guild
artisan to demonstrate the fundamental skills of the craft guild
trades, so the thesis requires the apprentice research to demonstrate
the fundamental skills of the research trade. The criterion of an
"original contribution to the knowledge of the field" entails
demonstrating that the candidate is able to understand the research
process and what it involves, to conduct research, to answer research
questions, and to reach conclusions of some kind - practical,
theoretical, conceptual, professional, scientific, or scholarly.
Since one must demonstrate research skills to produce a thesis that
meets the criterion of an original contribution to knowledge, the
thesis serves to benchmark the skills.

One question for those of us concerned with doctoral education is
creating programs and an institutional context that enable doctoral
students to develop the skills they need to contribute to the design
discourse at a high level. Another is serving the needs of specific
individuals who come to us in the hope of developing these skills.
Both of these questions meet in the framework of supervision.

David's comments focus on supervision issue. (So did Eduardo
Corte-Real. Those who are interested should accept Eduardo's offer of
the IADE journal with articles from the workshop on supervision. If
you missed the offer, you can write to Martim Lapa at
[log in to unmask] or to Carlos Duarte at [log in to unmask] to request
a copy of the doctoral supervision issue of Idade da Imagem.)

Supervision is one key to solving this problem. The situation is no
better in Europe than in America. The difference is that American
universities keep better statistics. The institutional situation is
worse in design because we are a young research field.

Artemis Yagou mentions the 90% attrition rate in Greece. High
attrition rates are only one measure of the problem. There are two
equally bad problems.

A second problem is zero attrition. One doctoral program in a
university-based architecture school had no attrition - NONE - in a
20-year period. During those two decades, the university graduated
only two doctors in design. What they ALSO had was a cohort of two or
three dozen unfinished doctoral students who never made progress and
never completed.

We see a third problem in schools with a completion rate that reaches
nearly 100%. These universities - and several art and design schools
- effectively graduate everyone who enrolls and pays tuition for
three years.

No failures, ever, suggest supervisors who lack the skills they
require to BOTH help students complete AND to equip them with the
skills they need for a research degree.

The attrition problem has come into focus in North American
universities precisely because the emphasis on good skills and robust
development has created a context within which many programs fail to
provide the appropriate level of personal support that enables
students to complete. There are ALSO objective factors outside the
control of the program. Chris Nippert-Eng's article in Idade da
Imagem discusses some of these.

North American universities and European universities face two
different kinds of problems here. North American universities have a
robust structure in place, but they often lack the systematic
personal attention and individual care that balances rigor with
mentoring and support. In this, North American universities have had
a systemic advantage. All but a dozen or so North American
universities emerged after the 1805 reforms of the Humboldt era
responded to Kant's challenge in The Conflict of the Faculties.

The vast majority of North American actually emerged a century or
more later. These universities benefited from the chance to see what
others had done. In contrast, many European universities are still
struggling with the heritage of medieval governance and program
structures. Others are fresh-minted research universities with no
programmatic foundation for research and research education. This is
the general situation in art and design schools, including art and
design schools merged into universities or newly designated as
universities. Very old schools and very young ones both suffer
different problems. These problems are equally bad for doctoral
students.

What must be said at this point is that these schools have yet to
reach the kind of problems that North American universities are
addressing. The attrition problem of a robust program is entirely
different to the non-completion or attrition problem in a
fresh-basked school with no doctoral tradition at all, or hardly any.

This is not entirely bad. Just as North American universities learned
from the Humboldt reforms and then learned from each other, we here
can learn from the current struggle of North American universities.
Se can build on their experiences to do better if we ALSO build on
the general approach to quality that enables their programmatic
successes as well as their personal failures.

It is symptomatic that in the great North American research
universities start their PhD programs in art and design with careful
planning and development, while many European programs jump right in
on the apparent principle that the right to award a PhD must mean the
ability to do so at the right level.

We have had some rich dialogue on these comparative issues in the
past - at the first conference on doctoral education in design in
Ohio, on DRS in the Picasso's PhD debate, at La Clusaz, and in our
on-line debate on design in the university.

If we are genuinely interested in making progress for our schools and
for the individual doctoral students who join us, perhaps it is time
for general systematic attention to these problems. The issues that
become evident in attrition and supervision are linked to many of the
reasons that cause programs to succeed or to fail.

This has been an extraordinarily interesting thread so far, and I
have gone on longer than I intended to do when I started to write. I
will finish with two quotes that caught my eye.

David's comment is cautionary: "I do recognize that my experience is
perhaps quite different to some others. There is still a lot of poor
supervision and training around, and it is clear to me that some new
doctors will never be able to conduct good quality independent
research in a competitive environment.

"My advice always to prospective doctoral candidates is to sort out
why they want to undertake doctoral study. It might be for career
reasons, but it might just be an itch that has to be scratched. Then
shop around and get really good supervisors with PhDs, with a track
record of successful completions, in a department that has the
infrastructure to support the needs of research students."

Carl states the promise that awaits us on the other side of the
process, "the ability and the opportunity to set a trajectory of
lifeline invention and discovery."

Yours,

Ken
--

Ken Friedman
Professor of Leadership and Strategic Design

Center for Design Research
Denmark's Design School

+47 46.41.06.76    Tlf NSM
+47 33.40.10.95    Tlf Privat