A Spanner in the works

M P Ranjan <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 21 Feb 2006 01:25:18 +0530

text/plain

Dear Jonas ( and Ken, Rosan et all....)

Thank you for sharing the full text of the 10 questions from JCJ.

The current debate on the scientific nature of design is stimulating,
to say the least.

I am enthused to throw a "spanner in the works" and here it is quoted
below from my notes at a meeting at the IDC, Mumbai which I attended
over the weekend.

I quote....

....The favorite rant thing is true, and in fact I believe Rs 60,000
crores is spent on science and technology in India each year (my
figures) and only about 30 to 50 crores is spent on design and we can
see that it is getting us much progress with all the pollution and
other fallouts that seem possible to solve if we spend more on "better"
science as one eminent scientist told me recently. Any takers.

However, my major submission at the IDC interaction was that the
history of humankind may need to be rewritten from the design
perspective as oposed to the scientific perspective, and I proposed the
following ages of man (women included here) or better still, humankind,
in the form of the revolutions of design that have shaped us through
the ages from pre-history to the present. These are indeed "Design
Revolutions", if we use the definition of "Design" to be "an
intentional thought and action that produces value".

To be brief I am listing below my thumbnail notes from the meeting that
I used to speak (extempore) from (the master video or audio may have
all the details and the ahems and the haws that I used to pass from one
point to the next). I would like a copy of the tapes if you can convert
them to digital form......and share...Ravi are you listening?

Quote from my handwritten notes....

"Design Revolutions of Humankind" or "Human Revolutions of Design" ( a
possible title for a future book on the history of design
© 2006 M P Ranjan) (possible chapterization below).

Pre-History
1. Hunter / Gatherer / Caveman
The Axe & Fire Revolution

2. Nomadic Culture to Settled Agriculture
The Wheel Revolution - Social Revolution

3. Stone Age to Bronze Age
The Craft Tech Revolution

(see) Levi Strauss (for the trigger) (Structural Anthropology 2 - Race
and History - last chapter in the book)

Ancient to Recorded History
4. Exploring the Intellect
 From the Greeks to (modern) Europe
Egypt, India, Americas {Maya}
The Science Revolution
(from the mystic to the rational thought and formal logic)

5. Technology & Industry & Application of Science
The Industrial and Technological Revolution

Contermporary to the Future (History)
6. Hi-Tech & Information Tech - Age of Computing
The Information (age) / Revolution
(from Bits to Bytes)

7. Content and Databases - Search and Communication
The Knowledge Revolution

8. Innovation Integration and Creativity
The Creative Revolution (The Design Revolution ?)
New Economics - The Value of One

(Future of History ??)

9. ?? One!!! ......

end of notes and end of quote

Perhaps humankind will rediscover Design in the near future and we will
place it in the place of the "Red dot" that Doxiodes had spoken about
when I heard him in Bombay in the early Seventies at a lecture in the
Tata Auditorium when I accompanied Sudha Nadkarni and his students. The
"Red Dots" (the crazies) on his slides were surrounded by many "Blue
Dots" (the normals) in his lectutre on social forms of cities and when
these grew many "Red Dots" from the villages combine to become cities
many "Red Dots" get together and start to change the "Blues" to shades
of "Purple"....read about "Constantinos Alexander Doxiadis's 'Ekistics'
and search Google, I would love to rediscover the lecture....This
happened when I was a student trainee at Godrej and I used to escape to
the IDC in the pretext of making plaster models (of Cupboard Handles)
that Godrej did not have handy (plaster of paris) at that time....

Design is at the heart of innovation and human progress and it needs to
be better funded in India (and elsewhere?) !!  What do you think?

With warm regards (sorry no abstracts included here)

M P Ranjan
from my office at NID
(with reading from my notes by Aratrik Devvarman who was discussing
Levi Strauss and Conrans new book "Designers on Design" which I got
from Mumbai Airport the day before, however it is a treatise on "Design
as Style" and no Indians are included there, thank heavens for that)
21 February 2006 at 1.20 am IST

Prof M P Ranjan
Faculty of Design
Head, NID Centre for Bamboo Applications
Faculty Member on Governing Council (2003 - 2005)
National Institute of Design
Paldi
Ahmedabad 380 007 India

Tel: (off) 91 79 26623692 ext 1090 (changed in January 2006)
Tel: (res) 91 79 26610054
Fax: 91 79 26605242

email: [log in to unmask]
web site: http://homepage.mac.com/ranjanmp/