PHD-DESIGN  2006

PHD-DESIGN 2006

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Solve, Seek, Create [Long post.] -- Another short reply to Klaus

Klaus Krippendorff <[log in to unmask]>

Klaus Krippendorff <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 19 Feb 2006 00:32:08 -0500

text/plain

dear ken,

when rosan was referring to an earlier distinction of mine, you are right, i
didn't feel compelled to correct her characterization as it was quite
adequate in the context in which she was using it.  you defended your
rephrasing her characterization rather than mine by saying that you didn't
have mine handy.  indeed, how could anyone keep track of all that is said on
the list.  however, you cited my post in which i had just quoted what i had
written in the semantic turn and further elaborated by suggesting: equating
A = reactive, B = proactive, and C = playful.  you clearly had the choice of
reformulation rosan or mine or both wordings.

you say "playing" is an action verb that could denote a purposive activity
and one that is not.  true enough.  playing a musical instrument or a sport,
for example.  but in my original formulation i didn't use the word
"playing."  i spoke of  "introduc(ing) variation into the world that others
may not dare to consider, creating something new and exciting -- just as
poets, painters, and composers do -- aimlessly and for fun."  rosan used
similar words (quite restlessly, perhaps just for fun, not necessarily
making something better).  in my subsequent interpretation, i spoke of
playfulness, which in my reading entails the aimlessness i had referred to
earlier.  "playful" is not the same as "playing."  in your own post you
included the equation: "playful or purposeless variation,"  which is what i
had in mind.

o.k., you are right to resist being labeled for the direction of your
rephrasing of what others wrote.  so, let readers make their own label.

personally, the five categories that you are now proposing seem confusing to
me.  i was merely grouping motivations -- the answers that designers could
give for getting involved in a design activity -- into three kinds.  i was
concerned with accountability in terms of which different kinds of
knowledges, processes, and methods become justified.  i had no intention of
stating or developing a model.  commenting on my formulations without using
them, you said that chuck burnette and i see things differently.  you too.

klaus