Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Hidden

Jon Worsley <[log in to unmask]>

Film-Philosophy Salon <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 18 Feb 2006 01:03:23 +0000

text/plain

Thank you for this. I recently have watched a spate of Haneke films, and
enjoy very much what he explores in his films and the way he explores them.

I found reading this very informative and concise....I also strongly agree
with pretty much everything you say. I think he explores quite similar
themes in his film 'Code Unknown'. I think Hidden (as in Funny Games and
Code Unknown) is also, in part, an attack on the langauge of cinema, and the
way we view what is a constructed reality.

For me, Hanekes refusal to fully answer all the films questions is a) an
indication that the film is very much about something outside the narrative
in its immediacy and b) a subtle attack on the catharsis that cinema
provides for an audience, becasue in a fictional reality it can. A Hollywood
version of the film would have undoubtedly ended in a climatic race to foil
the villianous film maker.....Haneke is teasing his audience with false
leads, forcing and provoking them into viewing the constructed reality in a
different way, and perhaps encouraging the didactic nature of the film to
come to the fore ground!

> [...]
>suspension of disbelief. Such exhaustion found a voice in at least one
>critic, Salon's Charles Taylor: "Ask anyone extolling the movie, 'Who sent
>the videotapes?' and they brush you off as if you were being hopelessly
>conventional. Maybe [director Michael] Haneke knows that providing the
>answer to who sent the tapes, i.e., the collective guilt of France, would
>expose the movie as the trite little thesis exercise it is."
>
>But demanding a straight answer is as reductive as ascribing the film's
>purpose to any single notion when it has so much more to offer. Auteuil and
>Binoche convey an unstable emotional core of quiet middle-class security
>that threatens to crack at any moment. The film's meticulous set design
>manages to be both banal and expressive: a wall of neatly arranged books
>and videos in Georges' home illustrates his possessive bourgeois
>relationship to knowledge. His son's room, featuring vibrant posters of
>Eminem and soccer players and a video-game steering wheel attached to his
>computer, suggests a portal into a wholly different personal reality, a
>world to which his parents seem largely oblivious. These interiors are
>shown in wide shots that flatten the images -- everything is seen at once,
>yet what is actually being shown is left for the audience to discern.
>Haneke is also capable of breathtakingly stylized shots, such as one with
>Georges standing in a crowded elevator with Majid's son -- Georges avoids
>the son's gaze, but their reflections in the mirrored walls create
>remarkable visual tension, fragments of space where individuals stand in
>defensive isolation.
>
>At the risk of validating Taylor's demand for simple answers, it should be
>mentioned that the film's final scene, a four-minute shot of a school
>entrance, contains a highly suggestive clue as to the source of the
>videotapes, though to find it requires concentrated looking -- which may be
>the point. You have to look even if you're never sure what you're looking
>for. And even if you catch the clue -- a small interaction between two
>characters -- there's still the matter of how to interpret it. Much of this
>depends on how one regards Georges, as well as every other character in the
>movie, the part that each plays in this society, and how this society
>mirrors our own. In other words, Caché is about how the way we look at
>people -- a spouse, a child, a homeless person, a security guard --
>reflects our own humanity, exactly the sort of thing the best works of
>cinematic art aspire to reveal.
>
>Copyright © 2006 Chicago Reader Inc.
>
>*
>*
>Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon.
>After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are
>replying to.
>To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to:
>For help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon.

*
*