CRISIS-FORUM  September 2005

CRISIS-FORUM September 2005

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: New Orleans disaster and climate change awareness

Chris McCoy <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 12 Sep 2005 11:36:31 +0100

text/plain

Hi All !

Just to note, that for "Sustainability" purposes, selecting where to go from
here, how to deal with things, etc... there is only one correct recourse. If
you're in an elevated position (individual, society, or otherwise) for
whatever reason, you've some way to fall. If you're grounded (society,
individual, etc...) there's no way of falling down, of having your legs
swept from under you so to speak. Inclement weather, oil price hikes,
illnesses, etc, you're already "grounded" and adaptable (not holding
on/static to how things are/used to be), and you naturally cope. Take the
Roman Empire, Mesopotamia, Egyptians, Incas, Mayas, British Empire for that
matter, French Colonies, etc etc - all thought they were "superior"/the bees
knees, and see where the illusion took them - just like our societies. If
you as an individual can adapt to any changes and survive, each having the
basic living skills (by taught or other experience rather than verbal
tuition) of finding and purifying water, finding or growing food, making
clothes and shelters, knowing where Iron etc comes from and how it's made,
etc etc etc, then when all goes well you can still develop industries,
computers etc if you wish, but when the big bad wolf comes and blows your
fragile house down, you can both survive at that moment (where possible),
and regenerate afterwards. This knowledge by experience also makes people
far more Self-confident, self-assured, capable, able to cope with hardships
or unemployment much better, more understanding of normality and so reduced
expectations, and can bring people closer to Nature etc, making them
happier people overall. Everyone and everything wins ! If you want true
sustainability, its nothing to do with building bigger defences, or
alledgedly better (more resource-intensive more
take-you-away-from-real-life so-make-the-wrong-decisions) technology, it's
to do with knowing what's normal in the Land, in Life and Living, reducing
your Adaptable (!)/nomadic(?) expectations and living standards and health
requirements to those levels, and if you wish (with consequences attached
!) to have relative luxuries you can. This applies also to all Oil Company
bosses, MDs of Hi-tech companies, City-persons, etc., as their own true
happiness would also follow, in a real sense !

As a second comment, what raw materials and processing are used to make
Solar Cells, Wind Power generators, Hydroelectric Dams, Nice Cars etc. Which
of these, if any, do not inherently rely upon the entire Oil/Petrochemical
and Exploration/Mining industries/infrastructure, and large
Foundries/Refineries etc for their Raw materials, and so thus help keep
those Gloabl industries running IN ADDITION ? So are they really
sustainable ? Is it not better for people to cut down on their energy usage
by learning how much nicer, and quieter (!), their life is without it (e.g.
Go to a Park, or Woodland, or to the Sea, where you're most happy, to
compare(?)), so naturally reducing demand, prolonging fuel/business
availability, etc. You can add gadgets/gizmos if you wish (with
consequences) as you're on a firm base.

Highly educated Environmentally-conscious/taught school kids in the UK still
love to buy up every new techno-gadget from phones to games, but (on
average) buggered if they know where their food comes from, or how to sew
on a button, or make socks etc ! Amazing how those gadgets use such
enormous Earth's resource to make !! And yet they're taught Environmental
issues regularly in the classroom, more than ever before in a
Global-context sense !! It ain't working !!!! 'Cos the system is not
practical/experienctial enough, and they opt to go for the "Seductive
Quick-and-Easy Path", full of attraction, and oh-so full of consequences !

I'll stop for now....

(And God Bless all those affected in New Orleans, and for all those
elsewhere Worldwide also suffering, but not mentioned by the (UK etc)Media,
Human or otherwise !!!)

All the Best !

Chris. McCOY