PHD-DESIGN  2005

PHD-DESIGN 2005

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: 5 not-so-easy pieces - was Five Reasonably Easy Pieces

Tim Smithers <[log in to unmask]>

Tim Smithers <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 26 May 2005 11:52:52 +0200

text/plain

Dear Fil,

I hope you won't mind me jumping in here, but, I would say,
with all due respect, that it is you who seems to be wont to
use categoricals, not Johann, or at least, not just Johann.

You say, in your reply to Klaus [PhD-Design: 5 not-so-easy
pieces ..., Wed, 25 May 2005] that:

   "Science assumes there's an objective reality of some
    sort and that we can come to understand that reality
    at least in some very weird way."

I would say that what you should say here is that For You,
science assumes there's an objective reality, but it is being
categorical, and categorically wrong, to say that Science
assumes this.  Some scientists might assume this, true. But
this does not safely allow you, or these scientists, to say
that Science assumes an objective reality.  Science is not a
single unified social activity for which such a claim can be
made, not without being categorical.

Further on, in your (same) reply to Klaus you say that:

   "Saying that y = Fx is universally true for ever and everyone
    is not something science says.  Science says: *as near as we
    can tell*, y = Fx."

But here you are being rather slippery, I think, or perhaps I
should say, fishy. In this (admittedly toy) example, the
equation x = F(y) is our theory--to go back to the way Klaus
put it [I'm not sure why you changed this in your reply?].

Now you say that this is to be understood as saying, in
science, that x = F(y) as near as we can tell.  But what is it
you want us to understand from this? Is it that

(1)  x is, as near as we can tell, the same as F(y),

or is it that

(2)  x = F(y) for all the cases we have seen, and can perhaps
               imagine?

In case (1) we must re-interpret the mathematical equality
relation, "=", to mean a (non-mathematical) relation of "is as
near as we can tell the same as," whatever this can mean.

In case (2) the "=" remains the usual universally true
(mathematical) equality relation, but you qualify this
mathematical statement (equation, in this case) by saying that
as a formal statement it may not always be true about the
world (or universe).

In case (1), we do not have, I would say, a theory; we have
some kind of ill-conditioned informal observation or hypothesis.

In case (2), we have a theory, but not a formal one, nor a
well expressed one: it's hard, perhaps even impossible, to
know when it is or might be false.  Newton's laws of motion
form a theory of motion; one that can be expressed using a set
of well known mathematical expressions.  Now, as you will no
doubt hasten to tell me, we can tell that this theory of
motion does not give good explanations for all the kinds of
motions we can observe in our universe. But, this does not
change the fact that these mathematical expressions state
universal relations: you would have to say they are
universally false relations. Nor does calling Newton's theory
of motion wrong or false, help much, since in many engineering
situations, as you well know, it is a more than adequate,
albeit wrong, theory to use.

All this is just a way of saying what I suspect most
scientists and others think, that scientific theories can and
do offer the basis for good ways of explaining
(de-mystifying) and understanding our world, but to do this,
they do not have to bear any necessary relation with any
presumed objective world "out there."  Nor, to be useful, do
they always have to offer the most widely true explanation.
Scientific theories are devices built in the doing of science;
they are artefacts of science: artefacts of the languaging we
do when we do science.

But I guess I  do not see Science like you do; which is
what makes this good fun, and may be even useful: perhaps
even scientifically useful--a bit like trying to hold
on tight to a slippery fish really.

Best regards,

Tim
Donostia / San Sebastián