PHD-DESIGN  2005

PHD-DESIGN 2005

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Philosophy of Design -- Short Response to Klaus

Tim Smithers <[log in to unmask]>

Tim Smithers <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 1 Dec 2005 23:31:09 +0100

text/plain

Dear Klaus and Ken,

I hope you won't mind me stepping in here ... stepping in with
you, not between you, I hope.

It's agreed: the word theory has roots in the notion of a
"god's eye" view.  (Though Wikipedia only talks about the
etymology of theory deriving from the Greek 'theorein',
meaning 'to look at'?)

It is further agreed: theory construction is a human activity;
we don't get our theories from the gods.

So, as you point out, Klaus: theories can only be the result
of a human view of things, not a god's eye view; a human view
that necessarily involves human decided interests, relevances,
values, together with human motives, intentions, means, and
ends, etc. All of which lead to serious epistemological issues
and attendant difficulties in theory construction.

I take these epistemological difficulties to be all part of
the job of theory construction: a hard job because of these
kinds of difficulties.  But, including their identification
and proper treatment in the presentation of the theory being
worked on, as you seem to be asking for, Klaus, doesn't seem
to me to be practical.  Theories are, I think, best presented
in a clear concise form, uncluttered by other theory
construction scaffolding and artefacts etc.

However, I do agree that current practices in presenting
theories do give them an omni-ness that theories do not
deserve, and theory constructors do, all to often, like to
give the impression that their theories are received from the
god's.

So, to me, the issue here is, where should we put all this
author related stuff that is a inevitable part of any theory
construction?  It is not a part of the phenomenon that the
theory is about: its not a part of designing, in the case of
theories of designing.  It's meta to the phenomenon, but is
the fabric in which our theories are embroidered: an often
rough, poorly finished, and stained fabric, with many holes,
lose ends, and dangling threads, and much unevenness in the
weave.

To me, all this 'fabric of our theories' is a part of the
philosophy-of; a necessary part of the philosophy of design,
in the case of theories of designing.  Working out this fabric
involves, as you identify, Klaus, identifying, recognising,
accepting, and sorting out difficult epistemological issues.
This, I think, mostly involves a philosophical treatment,
which should be made explicit and provided together with any
presentation of the theory itself.

You say, Klaus, that you do not want to create this
philosophical discipline--the philosophy of design needed for
good theory of designing construction.  Yet, for me, you, more
than anybody, both identify and make clear the need for making
these (I would say philosophical) aspects of theory
construction explicit and open to view, discussion, and
argument, not just the resulting theory.  I don't think you
can do theory construction without doing some philosophical
work too, so I think we do need this philosophical discipline,
and to learn how to practice it well, and to present its
workings.

Best regards,

Tim
Donostia / San Sebastián