Correspondence with BBC

neil scott <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 14 Oct 2005 21:45:35 +0100

text/plain

Below is my original complaint, the BBC reply and my latest correspondence.

Neil

RE: 12147940 BBC News
Dear Stewart McCullough,

Thankyou for your reply.

You state, 'Towards the end of the report footage of British soldiers under
attack
> in
> Basra was shown.  As you know the soldiers are reported to have come
> under
> attack after the storming of a Basra police station by British troops
> sparked unrest in the area.  James did not suggest this attack was
> being
> linked to Iran rather it was used to highlight the apparent increase in
> tension in the area.  The commentary which accompanied it made this
> clear
> as he pointed out that 'Britain has had a grim few months in southern
> Iraq…'
>
> The events surrounding this instance have been covered extensively and
> viewers are likely to be familiar with the details at this stage.  In
> addition the start of the report made it evident which kind of attacks
> were
> being linked to Iran by Britain - namely roadside attacks on armoured
> vehicles using armour piercing weapons. '

I disagree on a number of points and believe one of your points, ie. that
'the soldiers are reported to have come under attack after the storming of a
Basra police station by British troops sparked unrest in the area ' is
misinformed.  As far as I am aware, the unrest started after two Army
personnel shot and killed local Iraqis.

'Britain has had a grim few months in southern Iraq…'
If that was the only sentence to justify the inclusion of the tank being
firebombed and the soldier emerging on fire - it doesn't actually make
sense.  The clip showed a recent attack by the British on local Iraqis -
and, granted, it showed the local Iraqis briefly and violently gaining the
upper hand in the British led attack.  We both know the power of visuals -
and in a report about alleged Iranian infiltration and direction of the
insurgency, this visual was not neutral.  And you are right - viewers would
be familiar with this attack - but replaying PART of the British attack on a
Basra locality is actually leading the news and not reporting it in a
balanced way.  If you think about it - showing BITS of the truth (that
actually do not convey the outcome - that between 5-9 Iraqis were killed
during the attack) along with only British and American comment, could be
read as propaganda - a charge which the BBC, a neutral news agency, should
be avoiding.

Lastly, I repeat part of my original complaint that you have not replied to.
 You say that, 'It was made clear that the Government in Tehran has denied
any involvement in these incidents.'  Why was there no Iraqi vox pops?  or
Iranian?

My original comment was:
'Secondly, for a 'balanced' news report not to have any Iranian commentary -
or indeed any Iraqi or Middle Eastern voices - certainly was not what I
expect from the BBC.'

During the report, only British and American voices were heard.  A comment
from a British Army source and a comment from an American Army source.

Neil Scott
Glasgow

Dear Mr Scott

Thank you for your e-mail regarding BBC News 24 on 5 October.

I am sorry to read that you were concerned by aspects of diplomatic
correspondent James Robbins' report on recent events in Iraq.  As you know
the report was focusing on claims that Iran has been smuggling weaponry
into Iraq.

The report made clear that these were "accusations" by a senior British
Official and the footage which accompanied the claims was of the scene of
Major Matthew Bacon's death.  His death, along with those of seven other
British soldiers killed since May, was being linked directly to Iran and
the footage was felt to be appropriate to illustrate the kind of attack
which was being discussed.   It was made clear that the Government in
[...]

However, I am sorry if you were concerned and can assure you that your
comments have been registered and added to our daily log which is made
available to programme makers and senior editorial staff.

Thank you again for contacting the BBC.

Yours sincerely

Stewart McCullough
Divisional Advisor
BBC Information

Sir
I would like to complain about coverage on the recent accusations of Iran's
alleged involvement in the killing of British soldiers (in particular News
24; 9.00pm; October 5th).
During the report, footage of the debacle surrounding the killing of between

5 and 9 Iraqi citizens by two British Special Forces agents was shown - in
particular, the footage of the crowds petrol bombing tanks that had been
sent in to Basra to attack the local jail.  This 'illustration' to the
commentary about the Iran allegations was certainly emotive, but at no time
did the commentator say that the footage had nothing to do with these
allegations and indeed did not show Iranians - and no mention was made to
the circumstances surrounding the footage.
Secondly, for a 'balanced' news report not to have any Iranian commentary -
or indeed any Iraqi or Middle Eastern voices - certainly was not what I
expect from the BBC.  The only sources quoted where the British and American

Armies.
This is not what I expect from an impartial news service.