Re: How theories inform (summary)

Filippo Salustri <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 1 Nov 2005 05:35:56 -0500

text/plain

David asked some *fine* questions (below).  Here's my 2 cents.

David's provocations seem to focus on the need for theory to support
practice.  This is - and I'm confident David would agree - only one
important use of theory.  If we regard theory as in the service of
practice, then a suitable theory will somehow improve the practice, not
just in the abstract, but in the 'real-world'.

Perhaps we could say "a good theory will noticeably improve the
effectiveness or efficiency of a more than half of designers who use it
properly."

We could then set up some kind of 'program' to take a theory
in/about/for/of design or some element thereof, and study it to
determine what aspects of practice could possibly be improved by it.
 From this, one may establish criteria for assessing the theory.

We then render the theory in a form suitable for the practitioner to
absorb, observe the practitioner use the theory (having accounted for
the transient effects of implementing the theory), and then assess the
theory with respect to the criteria we established beforehand.

We then decide if the theory "works" per our defintion.

We do that often enough until we start to get a sense of the total
minimum amount of theory needed to sustain practice.

This is, ahem, a sketch of a program of scientific research.  It would
be *very* long term, and fraught with political intrigue (just how do
you get a bunch of practitioners to want to adopt some new element of
practice just for the sake of evaluating a theory?)

Still, it would be 'way cool to do!

Cheers.
Fil

--
Filippo A. Salustri, Ph.D., P.Eng.
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering