Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: meta-adaptation

Mikal Howard <[log in to unmask]>

Film-Philosophy Salon <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 28 Sep 2005 19:57:29 -0700

text/plain

--- Adrian Martin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The question Daniel raises about meta-adaptation is a
> fascinating one,
> and it has a rich and extensive history in cinema,
> beginning at least
> with Godard's CONTEMPTit's pathetic.  as life goes on
and tyranny is more alarmingly ignorant, stupid and
arrogant, one onders: perhaps intellectuals might be
mustered to change the direction of things.

but quickly i get the image of the easily bullied
retreating to their inner worlds, their multisyllabic
words and their intellectual in jokes -- and all the
while criticizing harshly the culture they have
rejected.

the blind  spot is that they could be interacting -- by
why should they?
if they got involved -- and actually were effective in
changing the world -- what would they have to criticize
and thus aggrandize themselves -- looking "all cool' as
they subtly use metaphor and simile to become detached,
intellectual, impersonal -- does the monster have two
heads?  bush's actions as a conspirator and an able one
are one thing. but the disgust and therefore studied and
impersonal detachment of intellectuals --

average people want to beat up nerds because there are
problems in the world, and nerds are dropping Star wars
references and not lending their minds to real world
issues as did a R. Buckminster Fuller -- or others.

So i introduce this list of critical minds.  you have
never heard of any of these people.

it's in no way all there fault. in a way i simply
criticize these idea people as a preface. But Britney
Spears and Eminem are REALLY  not saving the world andif
you've noticed -- it needs saving.  you noticed, right?

---
http://garnet.acns.fsu.edu/~nr03/Contributors.htm
without critical thinkers the blind bulls of capitalism
are the schizoid ubermenschen, taking from the poor and
giving to the toilet.
mikal x

Kritikos: an international and interdisciplinary journal
of postmodern cultural sound, text and image

ISSN 1552-5112

Contributors

Gerry Coulter

Dr. Gerry Coulter is Professor and Chairperson of the
Department of Sociology and Anthropology at Bishop’s
University in Lennoxville, Quebec, Canada. In 2002 he
founded the International Journal of Baudrillard Studies
(On The Internet). www.ubishops.ca/baudrillardstudies

Patrick J. McHenry

MA in English, University of Florida (2005)

Francis Raven

is an editorial assistant at the Journal of Aesthetics
and Art Criticism.  Francis Raven’s first novel,
Inverted Curvatures, will be published this fall by
Spuyten Duyvil.  Raven’s poems and essays have been
published in Mudlark, Conundrum, Untitled, Pindeldyboz,
Big Bridge, Le Petite Zine, and Can We Have Our Ball
Back?, Jacket, Clamor, The Morning News, In These Times,
The Fulcrum Annual, Rain Taxi, Sauce, and Pavement Saw.

Catherine Arnaud

Catherine Arnaud is a creator of modern art and has
recently completed her doctoral thesis at Paris I
Sorbonne University, entitled : “Variations about a
theme of Johann Sebastian Bach “. The presentation of
her thesis took place under the guidance and presence of
Mr. Costin Miereanu and Mr. Jean Lancri from Paris I
University and Mr. Daniel Charles from the University of
Nizza.  She has given concerts, exhibitions as well as
conferences, using video films, audio and slides.  As a
theorist she has rendered artistic reflections of modern
art from 1910 until the present time, the themes of
which are close to musical language. Her work consists
of producing perforated painted paper rolls that can be
viewed and listened to at the same time.

Armin Medosch

Armin Medosch is a writer, artist and curator based in
London. He is one of the initiators of
(http://kop.fact.co.uk), and in this frame he edited the
book and CD-ROM "dive" and is currently engaged in an
R&D project about commons, rules and games. In 2003 he
wrote the book "Freie Netze" about wireless community
networks. In 2004 he investigated climate change and
social mapping with the Ports project
(http://scansite.org/ports) as a part of the Ninepin
residency by Scan. Currently he works on a publication
about the relationship between science, technology and
social change for PAL, London. He is associate senior
lecturer in digital media at Ravensbourne College,
London.

Alexander R. Galloway

is Assistant Professor of Media Ecology at New York
University. He is a founding member of the software
development group RSG and is currently working on a
web-based software product called Carnivore--after the
FBI software of the same name--that uses packet-sniffing
technologies to create vivid depictions of raw data. As
a scholar, Alex has written on digital media in popular
and academic venues alike. Alex's first book, PROTOCOL,
or, How Control Exists After Decentralization, is
published by The MIT Press.

Eugene Thacker

is Assistant Professor in the School of Literature,
Communication, and Culture at the Georgia Institute of
Technology in the US. He is the author of two books:
Biomedia (University of Minnesota Press, 2004) and The
Global Genome (MIT Press, 2005).

Colin McQuillan

is a doctoral student in the philosophy department at
Emory University.

Keith Hart

Keith Hart lives in Paris and teaches anthropology
part-time at Goldsmiths College, London. The Hit Man's
Dilemma: or business, personal and impersonal will be
published as a Prickly Paradigm pamphlet in July 2005.
See www.thememorybank.co.uk

Justin Taylor

is a writer based in Portland, Oregon.  He is a regular
books critic for CounterPunch and a contributor to
Boldprint.net. His journalism and reviews have appeared
in or on the websites of The Nation, n+1, Bookslut,
Nextbook, Punk Planet, The Gainesville Iguana, and
elsewhere. His fiction and poetry has appeared in
various online and print literary journals. He graduated
from the University of Florida, where he studied
English, as well as theories and politics of sexuality.

Jason Read

is Assistant Professor of Philosophy at the University
of Southern Maine.  He is author of The Micro-Politics
of Capital, Albany; SUNY UP (2003)

Remy Roussetzki

Is assistant professor of English at the CUNY; recent
essays include "Aggravating Shakespeare: Endless
Violence in Shelley's and in Musset's Theater of
Anxiety." The European Romantic Review: Official Journal
of the North American Society for the Study of
Romanticism. 15.4 (2004): 1-18.

Paul Stasi

Paul Stasi is a doctoral candidate in the English
department at the University of California at Berkeley.
He is currently completing a dissertation entitled
"Aesthetics of Engagement:  Modernism, Commodity
Culture, and the Historical Sense."

Whitney Wolf

Artist;  for further info please visit his website:
http://www.whitneywolf.net/

McKenzie Wark

is Professor of  Cultural and Media Studies at the Lang
College, New School University in New York City. His
recent works include A Hacker Manifesto (Harvard
University Press, 2004), Dispositions (Salt Books, 2002)
and Virtual Geography (Indiana University Press, 1994).

Juan Bruce-Novoa

is Professor of Spanish and Portuguese at the University
of California at Irvine.  His recent works include Only
The Good Times (Arte Público Press, 1995) and
RetroSpace: Collected Essays on Chicano Literature (Arte
Público Press, 1990).

Steve Gennaro

Ph.D student in the department of Art History and
Communications, McGill University, Montreal, Canada

Constantine Sandis

is about to submit his PhD on The Things we Do and Why
we Do Them at the University of Reading. He also teaches
in the Philosophy Department there, as well as at the
University of Bath (Division of Lifelong-Learning), and
for the Royal Institute of Philosophy.  See also:
http://www.sandisproductions.com/

Robert Pepperell

Robert Pepperell is a member of Polar (The Posthuman
Laboratory for Arts Research) and a lecturer in
Contemporary Art Theory at University of Wales College,
Newport.  He is also associate editor of Leonardo
Reviews.  His works include The Posthuman Condition
(Intellect, 1995) and The Postdigital Membrane
(Intellect, 2000) in collaboration with Michael Punt. A
revised version of his first book, entitled The
Posthhuman Condition: Consciousness Beyond the Brain,
has also recently been published (Intellect, 2003).

Thorsten Botz-Bornstein

is currently a visiting/teaching scholar in  the
department of Philosophy at Zhejiang University in
China.  Previously he was lecturer in Pan-Asian Studies
at Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales in
Paris, France.  His recent books include Place and
Dream: Japan and the Virtual (Amsterdam, New York:
Rodopi, 2003), and his work has appeared in Cinetext,
Ctheory.net, Film-Philosophy International Salon-Journal
and others.

Michael H. Goldhaber

Is completing a book on the attention economy.  His work
has appeared in journals such as First Monday,
Wired.com, Telepolis and others.

Jason Sperb

is a DeRoy fellow and doctoral student in English at
Wayne State University.  He holds a master’s in Film
Studies (Oklahoma State University, 2004).   His work
has recently appeared in the Quarterly Review of Film
and Video.

Harry Polkinhorn

Professor of English, San Diego State University
Harry Polkinhorn is an experimental poet/artist,
translator, and editor whose works have been exhibited
and published worldwide. He has published over thirty
books of poetry, fiction, translation, and edited
collections. His areas of scholarly interest focus on
the international avant-garde and the culture of the
U.S.-Mexico border region. He has translated works from
Italian, Portuguese, German, and Spanish. Blue Shift (a
book-length poem) was published by Ex Nihilo Press, San
Francisco (1999). He is currently preparing a bilingual
English/Spanish anthology of poetry by Baja California
poets to be published by Junction Press. He was educated
at the University of California, SDSU, New York
University, the Kunstgewerbeschule of the City of
Zürich, and Pacifica Graduate Institute. He is a
permanent visiting professor in the  program in
Semiotics and Communication of the Pontifical Catholic
University of Sãão Paulo, Brazil. He is Director of San
Diego State Press.

August Highland

August Highland's work has appeared in Harvard's visual
poetry exhibition, "Errata and Contradiction" Spring
2004, milkmag.org, interpoetry.com and others.  He says
of his visual poetry, "Whether my paintings are hung in
homes, galleries, museums, hotels, or corporations, I
want my paintings to remind people of their greatness."
For more on August Highland:  www.august-highland.com

Anton Karl Kozlovic

is a Ph.D. candidate in Screen Studies, School of
Humanities, The Flinders University of South Australia.
He is interested in Religion-and-Film, Interreligious
Dialogue, DeMille Studies, Computer Films and Popular
Culture. He is currently writing a doctoral dissertation
on the biblical cinema of Cecil B. DeMille and is the
co-editor of the forthcoming book Religion and Popular
Culture.  He has published articles in Australian
Religion Studies Review, Compass: A Review of Topical
Theological, Counterpoints: The Flinders University
Online Journal of Interdisciplinary Conference Papers,
The Furrow: A Journal for the Contemporary Church,
Effective Teaching, Journal of Christian Education,
Journal of Contemporary Religion, Journal of Mundane
Behavior, Journal of Religion and Popular Culture,
Journal of Religious Education, The Journal of Religion
and Film, Kinema: A Journal for Film and Audiovisual
Media, Labyrinth: An International Journal for
Philosophy, Feminist Theory and Cultural Hermeneutics,
Latent Image: A Student Journal of Film Criticism,
Marburg Journal of Religion, Metaphilm, Nowa Fantastyka,
Organdi Quarterly, Quodlibet: Online Journal of
Christian Theology and Philosophy, Reconstruction:
Studies in Contemporary Culture, Religious Education
Journal of Australia, Science as Culture, Teaching
Sociology and 24 Frames Per Second. His latest critical
entries and book chapters have been published in The
Wallflower Critical Guide to Contemporary North American
Directors (Allon, Y., Cullen, D., & Patterson, H., 2001)
and Sex, Religion, Media (Claussen, D. S., 2002).  He
can be contacted at either
[log in to unmask] or

Temenuga Trifonova

is a lecturer in Film and Digital Media at the
University of California, Santa Cruz.  She has written
on film theory, time in contemporary cinema, special
effects, science fiction cinema, film remakes, the
postmodern sublime, Continental philosophy and American
literature.  Her articles have appeared in International
Studies in Philosophy, Postmodern Culture, SubStance,
Quarterly Journal of Film and Video, CineAction, Kinema:
a Journal for Film and Audiovisual Media, Film and
Philosophy and others.

Catharina Landström

is a researcher in the Dept. of History of Ideas and
Theory of Science, Göteborg University, in Sweden.

Alan Sondheim’s

books include the anthology Being on Line: Net
Subjectivity (Lusitania, 1996), Disorders of the Real
(Station Hill, 1988), and .echo (alt-X digital arts,
2001) as well as numerous other chapbooks, ebooks, and
articles. His videos and films have been shown
internationally. Sondheim co-moderates several email
lists, including Cybermind, Cyberculture, and Wryting.
For the past decade, he has been working on an "Internet
Text," a continuous meditation on philosophy,
psychology, language, body, and virtuality. Sondheim
lives in Brooklyn; he lectures and publishes widely on
contemporary art and Internet issues. In 1999, Sondheim
was the second virtual writer-in-residence for the trAce
(sic) online writing community (Nottingham, England). He
is currently associate editor of the online magazine
Beehive, and one of the editors of Nettime's Unstable
Digest. In 2001, Sondheim assembled a special topic for
the America Book Review on Codework. His video/soundwork
has often been screened at Millennium Film (NYC), as
well as a number of other venues. Sondheim teaches in
the trAce online writing program; in 2000-2001 he taught
new media at Florida International University in Miami.
He currently works in video, cdrom, performance, sound,
and text, often in collaboration with Azure Carter,
Foofwa d'Imobilite, and others.

Relevant URLS:
http://www.asondheim.org/
Trace Projects at
http://trace.ntu.ac.uk/writers/sondheim/index.htm

James Charles Fox, Jr.

received his B.A. (1999) in Creative Writing from the
University of New Orleans in Louisiana and Charles
University in Prague, Czech Republic.  He will receive
his M.A. (2005) in English, with a specialization in
Writing, from the State University of New York at
Albany.  Two of his one-act plays, Penguin Politics
(1997) and To Hope Against Hope (2004), were produced at
the University of New Orleans where he also received the
2004 Academy of American Poets College Prize for
"Camille" and "On Waking", featured in the Ellipsis
literary magazine, issue 32 (2004).  He is currently
working on an experimental film based on the
cinematographic poetry and poetics of Louis Zukofsky.

Paula Murphy

Dr. Murphy has recently completed her doctoral thesis in
Mary Immaculate College, University of Limerick, Ireland
entitled, ‘The Post-Millenial Self’.  Her areas of
specialization are contemporary Irish literature and
film, Lacanian psychoanalytic theory and film theory.
She has given many papers on these topics and has
chapters forthcoming in ‘Spec(tac)ular Society: French
Theory Interpreting Globalisation’ in Globalisation and
France (2004, New York: Peter Verlang) and ‘From
Post-Industrial to Post-Modern: the Changing Face of
Irish Cinema’ in Engaging Post-Modernity (2005, London:
Pluto Press).

http://www.mic.ul.ie/english/Paula's Home Page.htm

Nicholas Ruiz III

is a graduate teaching instructor and doctoral candidate
in the Interdisciplinary Program in the Humanities at
Florida State University. His work has appeared in Noema
Tecnologie e Società, Rhizomes.net,
Media/Culture.org.au, The International Journal of
Baudrillard Studies, Reconstruction and elsewhere.  He
is also the editor of Kritikos.

David J. Tremblay

MFA candidate, Columbia College

Kyle A. Wiggins

Department of English, University of Montana

Jayne Fenton Keane (JFK)

for further info, please visit her website, “The
Stalking Tongue” at www.poetinresidence.com

JFK is also a  student in Poetry at Griffith University
in Australia.

Kritikos: an international and interdisciplinary journal
of postmodern cultural sound, text and image

ISSN 1552-5112

http://particlezen.proboards7.com/index.cgi
the edge of everything.  no, really.

http://www.deadjournal.com/users/cataleptik/