PHD-DESIGN  2004

PHD-DESIGN 2004

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Theory-focused understanding of ontology & epistemology

Terence Love <[log in to unmask]>

Terence Love <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 12 May 2004 21:40:00 +0000

text/plain

Hi Klaus,

You coments in you last post focus on the human aspects of perceiving and sensing, echoed in 'we are perceiving'. I'm concerned this depends strongly on giving a lot of  ego status and reified priviledge to the idea of self. That is, it assumes and presumes that each of us is predominately a 'whole being'.

An alternative  perspective is that the reality seems to be that each of us is more like an evolutionary-developed organic robot  rather than the 'reified  individual person'. Much and perhaps all of our behaviour, thoughts and perceptions are routinised, habituated and fixated - and that refers to the few aspects of us that are not relatively hard wired. It seems,  from lots of perspectives, that the idea of an 'I' or a 'we' that is doing the perceiving or has agency is much an illusion - or rather a self -interested 'self-delusion' .

I am wondering how you factor this in to theorising about ontology and epistemology? This is not an idle speculation. Much of the work of designers is aimed at manipulating users thinking and behaviours - it assumes that individuals, all of us, are substantially programmable and programmmed. If this is true, it is difficult to reconcile with a philosphical perspective that there really is an 'I' or a 'we'  that is/are perceiving or sensing

Best regards,

Terry
____________________

Curtin Research Fellow
Dept of Design
Curtin University
Perth, Western Australia

Visiting Research Fellow
Institute for Entrepreneurship and Enterprise Development
Management School
Lancaster University
Lancaster, UK