Get Password

VICTORIA Digest - 9 Mar 2004 to 10 Mar 2004 (#2004-71) (fwd)

Fri, 30 Apr 2004 17:21:57 +0100

text/plain

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: 11 March 2004 00:01 -0500
From: Automatic digest processor <[log in to unmask]>
To: Recipients of VICTORIA digests <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: VICTORIA Digest - 9 Mar 2004 to 10 Mar 2004 (#2004-71)

Topics of the day:

  1. Income of Prominent Victorians (2)
  2. Pre-Raphaelite Ideals and LADY AUDLEY'S SECRET (3)
  3. Thanks - women on trial for murder
  4. Thanks - children's books
  5. Victorian Funerary Architecture
  6. Walter Scott (publishing) a query. (2)
  7. fear of water? (2)
  8. Mendelssohn's Elijah (2)
  9. "Jouse," Anyone? (2)

Date:    Wed, 10 Mar 2004 04:26:31 EST
From:    David Lannon <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Income of Prominent Victorians

Barbara Walsh, in her recent book "Roman Catholic Nuns of England and Wales
1800-1937" looks at convent finances. One source of income was found in the
donations received from benefactors. I suspect that such support for good
causes was not limited to Roman Catholics and that a study of accounts of
similar institutions (schools, chapels, orphanages, homes etc) might reveal
much about the income (and generous outgoings) of prominent Victorians.
Certainly Walsh's chapter is a useful indication.

David Lannon
Salford Diocesan Archives