ZOOARCH 2004

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: fwd: [ZOOARCH] walrus again

"Thomas H. McGovern" <[log in to unmask]>

Thomas H. McGovern

Mon, 19 Jan 2004 11:03:25 -0500

text/plain

Dear All

  MANY thanks for the very kind responses on walrus! There seems to be
lots of potential in this sort of investigation and we should certainly
move forward on it. We now have a scan of the chunk of tusk from Gásir
which we can email anyone interested. Please note that Howell Roberts
([log in to unmask]) is the excavator (with Archaeological Inst Iceland)
and he will be glad to consult and provide some (very nice) prelim
reports on the dig (still ongoing). I'll try to keep everyone posted on
progress with this.

   I would also like to thank Jacqui for posting the NABO meeting notice
again. We are at the moment working hard to accommodate the really
impressive numbers of really excellent papers that have been submitted,
and I am sure that many will be of considerable interest to regular
ZOOARCH readers (everything from new interdisciplinary work in the
Faroes to evidence for systematic fluctuation in marine radiocarbon
reservoir) plus a great many "straight" Zooarch papers. We will also be
doing a demo of the long gestating CD based N Atlantic fish
identification manual (an upgrade of what was shown at last years ICAZ
fish working group meeting) handing out CD samples of the proposed data
archive project (with real datasets from Iceland to start it off) and it
looks like we will be having some really important synthesis papers
taking the larger view of economic change in this cool, wet, but
interesting area.

  At this moment, we are in fact a bit swamped with great papers, and I
know that several good papers that have missed the 1 Jan deadline are
very worthy of inclusion. It may be the case that this excellent turnout
may make it impossible to fit into our scheduled venue in Copenhagen.
In the event that we can't manage to fit into the Copenhagen venue (they
are also simultaneously hosting an Inuit archaeology meeting) we may
have to change location for NABO 04 to the UK (we have a contingency
agreement already with one of our UK collaborating universities with
plenty of space for us). I am working to get a final decision on the
conference venue by the end of this week and will immediately post the
results by this coming Friday (Jan 23rd 2004).

   If you are contributing a paper or planning to attend NABO 04, I urge
you to hang on till the end of this week before finalizing travel
arrangements. Apologies for the uncertainties, but we will get a final
answer on space issues very soon and widely publicize the outcome.
Please contact me if anyone has any questions or if you are in any doubt
if your abstract has been received. Many thanks for your patience.

Sincerely
Tom

Thomas H. McGovern, Professor
Coordinator North Atlantic Biocultural Organization (NABO)
Director Hunter Bioarchaeology Laboratory
Anthropology Department, Hunter College CUNY
695 Park Ave, NYC 10021 USA

fax: 212 772 5423
phone: 212 772 5410
email: [log in to unmask]