Re: Migration and the census

John Barker <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 14 Feb 2003 13:48:57 -0000

text/plain

Dar RADSTATS members.

The below e-mail by Paul Spicker seems to me to get him more firmly engulfed
in the mire which he has created.
I make the following points.

a) He seems to want to hide from, or draw attention away from his initial
un-professional conduct in his e-mail of the 10th February which was an
answer to mine of the 8th of Feb. when he wrote (at the beginning of his
e-mail):
"Two issues here are commonly muddled together:  migration and
"immigration".
Migration is concerned with population movements:  immigration with people
who are initially resident in other countries who come to be resident in the
UK.   John Barker writes as if the two are equivalent: he refers to an
upward trend in net migration but goes on to write of the "immigration
component of population growth".    The assumptions he's critical of,
however, are mainly concerned with migration, not with immigration".

I have already pointed out ( my e-mail of 11th Feb) that in my e-mail of 8th
February I did not write "an upward trend in net migration". I wrote "upward
trend in net international in-migration".
Spicker's allegation against me, as given in his e-mail of 10th February is
therefore totally unfounded.

(NB. I know what I wrote in my e-mail of of the 8th as I have a copy. I
received by e-mail one copy of what I had sent addressed to me and one copy
addressed to me a member of the Radstats group. Both these contained the
passage as I had written it, i.e. they mentioned "upward trend in net
international in-migration". I am assuming then that all other radstats
memeber received the same unaltered version of what I had wrote. If anyone
got a different version saying "upward trend in net migration" then Spicker
could have got the same and my criticism falls to the ground. I  mention
this because e-mailing and discussion groups are technical things which
still have an aura of magic to me. However, I think it unlikely that Spicker
got anything different to what I wrote)

b) I note that in his latest e-mial he does not mention this error of his!

c)The terms involved in this dispute are ordinary English language terms,
not technical statistical terms.
Migration is understood commonly as movement of peoples irrespective of
destination or origin. Immigration refers to what we may term a subset of
migration and is destination determined, i.e  refers to a host country/area.
People do not ordinarily confuse the two. The terms have been taken up in
statistics and other technical studies simply because there was no need to
invent some new terms. Their  meaning in such studies remains the same. To
sum up. these are ordinary English words which are clearly different and
generally understood as different. I have never been confused abvout the
meaning of the two words.

d) I wonder why Spicker started his original e-mail of 10th Feb. by this
attack on me ? I speculate that he did not like
EITHER that I was critical of the census people OR THAT  I suggested
government statistitians might be down-playing the net immigration trend
because the government wants to clamp down this concern (of the public) OR
BOTH.

e) The result of Spicker's latest attempt to justify his position, apart
from causing me to spend a lot of time which could have been spent on more
important matters, may well be to lower his reputation amongst other
RADSTATS members.

f) His  charge against me is entirely spurious.  I would have been
justified to completely ignore it.
However, I will reply to each of his points in turn in his latest e-mail, as
I take his charge against me seriously. I give my response below

g) I really cannot afford to spend more time on this dispute.

*MY RESPONSE*

1)  "The identification of "net international in-migration" and "net inflow"
 with "the immigration component of population growth".
MY REPLY
I do not see how this demonstrates that I confuse migration and immigration,
whatever else it may demonstrate. The "immigration component of population
growth" simply refers to the fact that total population growth has two
components a) natural increase (excess of births over deaths)  b) net
immigration = "net inward migration" = "net international in-migration" =
"net inflow"( the excess of gross immigration over gross emigration).
Also, the "net international in-migration" comes in a separate, earlier
paragraph to the other two quotes. Its context was "despite the very clear
upward trend in net international in-migration to the UK, the trend is
always assumes to level off to the horizontal...". In this paragraph I
don't identify it with either of the other quotes.
As far as the other two quotes their context was:
" Considering recent projections (1994-based, 1996-based, 1998- based and
now the new 2000-based projections released November 2001), the immigration
component of population growth in the immediate future has been successively
increased. For the UK as a whole, in the 1994 projections, as in previous
projections, it had been assumed that there would be a net inflow in the
immediate following years of 50,000 persons a year. The 1996-based
projections raised this to 65,000 per year. The 1998-based projections
raised the level to 95,000 per year. The new projections raise the level to
135,000 people".
As I said in my e-mail, this paragraph was taken from our web site and the
context was  information about population growth. Consequently when I came
to report on  immigration  I referred to the "immigration component of
population growth". But whether present readers knew of this context fact or
not, and contrary to what Spicker implies, "immigration component of
population growth"  = "net immigration" = "net-inward migration  = "net
inflow" (as I said earlier).
How does what I wrote  demonstrate I confuse immigration with migration?

2) "The treatment (in section 2(ii)) of assumptions about migration as
equivalent to assumptions about immigration"
MY REPLY.
I am unsure just how much of my e-mail he apportions to section 2(ii). But
lets assume it means the whole of the rest of my e-mail from where section 2
(ii) starts to the end.
"Assumptions about migration". This must refer to where I in turn refer to a
publication of OPCS:
Office of population censuses and surveys (1993). Occasional paper 42. I