Re: Design learning

Charles Burnette <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 25 Aug 2003 17:28:34 -0400

text/plain

Dear Harold,

I, too, undertook to design an experimental graduate
program based on the design process.
My program was structured around seven
specializations: design management, design
information, design methods, design communication,
design simulation, design assessment and design
systems. My objective was to fashion a design/research
team each member of which had responsibility for
developing expertise in a field of knowledge within
design. Each of the eight (carefully selected)
students received full fellowships with the
understanding that half their time would be focused on
a research project to develop a comprehensive system
to support design, the other half on a program of
study that they developed (with my help) to pursue
learning in their specialty. In effect, they were
agents for their specialty in a collaborative effort
to develop a system capable of supporting a
multidisciplinary design team during the design of
advanced driver interfaces, a system that incorporated
a driving simulator and human factors assessment of
the driver using the interface in the augmented
virtual environment of the simulator. We did build and
demonstrate the seven module system,  graduating
sixteen? students over the six years that the program
existed.

We did a lot of things differently. Some of them were
hard for the University administrators to rationalize.
For example, we admitted every two years so that a
smaller staff could follow each cohort through to the
end. Although accredited as an experimental Masters
program in ID we admitted students from cognitive
science, mechanical engineering, sculpture, and
graphic design also. They came from Brazil, Germany,
China, and Korea as well as the US. Each student
received an extra stipend of $3000/year that they
could spend to attend conferences, buy software, visit
centers of excellence in their field or even hire
tutors. (We obviously did not have the faculty on hand
to address all the areas of expertise involved. We did
have a computer science guy, a systems architect, me,
a part time faculty member, a cybrarian, and every now
and then a programmer.) We brought in a lot of
consultants and guest lecturers to advise the students
and assist the research. Nearly all of the students
took Karl Ulrich's excellent MBA course on product
development at the Wharton School, University of
Pennsylvania, and he, with some other great people,
was an advisor to the program. Many of the thesis read
like PhD dissertations .

The situation was unique due to the research project,
off-budget funding, and the fact that we were at an
arts university. But when the research was completed
and I departed, the program reverted to something more
normal. (It is still good just with a different focus,
leadership, modus operandi - and budget.)

As this effort suggests, I believe that we have to
integrate learning and doing design at a higher level
in which design is approached as a technically
mediated collaborative process.  A "roles and modes"
approach worked for us and helped us learn a great
deal.

Best regards,

Chuck

Dr. Charles Burnette