Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Newsletter Templates

Log Out

Change Password

Re: Existential commitment and phronesis [was Re: False consciousness and reflection-based PhD research]

Norm Sheehan <[log in to unmask]>

Norm Sheehan <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 19 Sep 2003 08:48:19 +1000

text/plain

Hi Ken

You said some science (must/needs to be) is inhuman & then trans-human
using the example of mathematics and I am having difficulty with the
meaning of this.

Are you suggesting (when describing inhuman science) that mathematics etc.
are features of the world? From your example are you saying that the
information in the world has an informational correspondence (exists in the
same formation) as the human-social knowledge-thing we know as
maths-science etc?

Are you suggesting when you say trans-human that science through the
mathematics example is a 'held in common' feature of mind or mankind? Or
that it presents immutable 'truths' that all must accept?

I know that you realise where I am going with this but please let us follow
this track because I believe Terry's question is so vital for my postgrads
also.

Bunge, M. (1983) stated that (epistemological) methodologies should not be
confused with methodics …they are not only about what we do in knowledge
'finding' they are also about how one should best proceed in/through our
(version of) 'searching' intent… so that knowledge is 'reliable'; 'valid' etc

Thus there are values and hence humanity at all levels… are there not?

What follows from a measurement which is seen to be apart from humanity &
thus from error?...(surely this is a human value that denies human value as
a source of its own validity).

Another question that i am compelled to ask is why does the question of
false consciousness only apply to self-referential studies...are some
researchers immune from false consciousness because their methodology does
not require them to refer to self (is that possible) ... are some research
methods also a kind of cultural-normative vaccine against error?

An excellent text available in my area is Linda T. Smith's (1999)
Decolonising Methodologies it presents a Maori context Indiegenous approach
to the idea of research.

Thanks to Jan and Klauss…I will read the text over the weekend

Apologies for my pointy questions

Norm

Epistemology & methodology / Mario Bunge1983.
 Publisher Dordrecht, London

At 11:25 AM 17/09/03 -0700, Ken Friedman wrote:
>Dear Norm,
>
>Thanks for your recent notes. I have been following the thread with
>great interest. For the last five days, I have been trying to write
>up a reasonably short note summarizing the central questions.
>
>Here, I would like to respond briefly to your fine post.
>
>In existential terms, false consciousness has little to do with
>reliability in a scientific sense. For Kierkegaard, the imperative
>aspect of working through false consciousness has to do with
>self-understanding and existential commitment.
>
>One of Kierkegaard's books addresses the dialectical relationship
>between reliability in the scientific sense and existential issues.
>This is the Concluding Unscientific Postscript of 1846.
>
>Kierkegaard reflects deeply on the different natures of truth. In
>religious and feeling issues, he examines historical and rational
>speculative approaches to find them inadequate. He does not reject
>the correspondence theory of truth of the possibility of
>contradiction. Rather, he sets it aside as inappropriate to the task
>of religious and existential life.
>
>He then goes on to discuss how we know what we know in subjective and
>existential terms. Here, he clarifies a form of ethical and religious
>thought linked to Socratic inquiry as distinct from the abstract
>scientific thinking of modern rationalism. This is why the book is
>labeled unscientific. The designation is intended to make clear what
>it is that we work with when we work in a philosophical or
>psychological frame.
>
>This relates to the first of your two postulates, "No methodology
>is, or can ever be free from the multiplex of human errors."
>
>Johan Olaisen and I have wrestled with this issue in terms of its
>appropriate application to research. Some years ago, Johan coined a
>term "clarified subjectivity," that addresses exactly the kinds of
>issues that are appropriate to the human sciences. If we cannot be
>free of error or free of subjectivity, we must ask how we can best
>use our abilities to understand the issues we consider. This is where
>Johan began with his early work on clarified subjectivity. We have
>taught doctoral seminars in information science based on this
>approach, and I have been adapting some of this to design research.
>(We presented a paper on clarified subjectivity at La Clusaz. It is
>in the proceedings.)
>
>Your second postulate deserves reflection in two dimensions.
>
>You write, "the elimination of the human condition from research is
>dangerous because it produces an inhuman science." This is true. More
>important, some forms of science are and SHOULD BE inhuman.
>
>Mathematics is inhuman. So is physics. So are vast areas of biology,
>chemistry and many of the logical and natural sciences. Most of these
>sciences have human subfields linked to or located within them.
>Mathematics education and some branches of applied mathematics would
> [...]
Norman Sheehan
Lecturer
Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Studies Unit
University of Queensland
Brisbane Old 4072 Australia