Re: Professional doctorates

"VanDerLem, Paul" <[log in to unmask]>

VanDerLem, Paul

Mon, 24 Feb 2003 12:19:07 -0700

TEXT/PLAIN

Dear All

        The debate what is or what ought to be doctoral has
clearly traceable historical dimensions. At mediaeval
Institutions of Higher Education, before the term
university was in use, titles such as Master, Doctor and
Professor had the same status. At that time they were not
indications of levels of competence like we use today, but
indicated in which Faculty/College one was a teacher.

The first known academic awarded Doctorate after an
examination was in Canon Law at the University of Bologna.
This was a furthering of the separation of academic
recognition for civil and religious purposes. In fact the
first titles awarded for professional competence for civic
matters as a different career path than careers within the
church was the title magister (master).

With the growing influence of civic economies in the late
mediaeval and early Renaissance, Doctorates became the norm
for teaching positions in European universities. This may
explain why today so many countries by law require a
doctoral recognition for university lecturers.

However with the demand of academic jobs outside the church
and universities, professional doctorates like medicine and
law became the second route for a doctoral recognition. So
you either displayed scholarly competence and became a
doctor to teach or you displayed professional competence to
become a doctor who practised his profession.

Only in the 19th century was the research doctorate
established. This happened in German speaking countries.
Univerities like Oxford, Cambridge but also Paris and Prague
refused to recognise these so-called junior Doctorates (PhD)
because they were based on the axiom of doubt instead of
building on historically accepted academic authority.

Research PhDs were awarded to young researchers trained by
professors who invented new science and philosophies,
among which Chemistry was the economic giant that changed
society in the same way as IT has done in our times. So
PhDs got status because they earned the intellectual powere
which underpinned new money in the 19th century. Once this
message spread, everybody wanted PhDs, even the older
conservative universities which had opposed PhDs for
decades. However it was not easy and still required two
laws in the mid 19th century in Britain to force Oxford and
Cambridge to accept research as a legitimate activity
within their walls.

So we now have three polarities for doctoral work.
- a display of known scholarship
- a display of professional competence
- a reseach ability which can make new contributions of
        knowledge for the first two

All current doctorates display at least one aspect of these
three archetypes, but very confusingly some doctorates
display a mixture of these ideas.

For people interested in more of this, I delivered a paper:
Doctoral research in Art and Design, at the  5th ADC in
Seoul.

Hope that this simplification adds to the debate

Paul van der Lem

VanDerLem, Paul
Email: [log in to unmask]
"University of the West of England"