Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

article on Mulholland Drive

Steven W <[log in to unmask]>

Film-Philosophy Salon <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 13 Jan 2003 12:02:45 -0500

text/plain

here is an article on Mulholland Drive, from Eric Gans' site at
http://www.anthropoetics.ucla.edu/views/vw269.htm

sincerely, Steven W

                  Chronicles of Love and Resentment

Eric Gans

_Mulholland Drive_

No. 269: Saturday, August 31, 2002

*David Lynch's* _Mulholland Drive_ (MD) is one of the most formally
provocative and, to my mind, one of the best films of recent years. Its
self-deconstructing narration is one of the finest demonstrations to date
of how the defamiliarizing narrative tropes first given currency in the
French _ nouveau roman_ nearly fifty years ago (although their history goes
back to the eighteenth century, even to antiquity) can be creatively
absorbed into the vocabulary of Hollywood cinema. What makes MD a more
significant work of narrative art than, for example, _Memento_, whose story
is ingeniously told backward, is the deeper implication of its narrative
technique in its particular elaboration of the universal theme of secular
culture, the * deferral of resentment.*

MD's power comes from its thematization of both resentment and its esthetic
transformation. At about the three-quarter mark we discover that the
increasing strangeness of the narrative to that point reflects its status
as a fantasy/fiction of the protagonist. "Betty," the wide-eyed new arrival
in Los Angeles who unselfishly helps the amnesiac victim of a murder
attempt (and discovers her sexual attraction to her "innocently" along the
way), is revealed as Diane, a disillusioned second-rater who, after living
on crumbs from her movie-star lover Camilla's table, has had her killed
when she was about to end their relationship by marrying her director. The
fiction sequence is a brief resuscitation of Camilla, whom Diane first sees
in an instant's hallucination before the final long flashback sequence that
tells Diane's "real" story, return from which to reality (and the
detectives' knock on the door) precipitates her suicide. (Some may claim
that we don't really know that the second sequence is any less a fantasy
than the first. The important thing is the relationship they bear _to each
other_. Sequence 1 is a fantasy of sequence 2; suggesting that 2 is also a
fantasy implies the existence of a sequence 3 that can only be located
outside the film.)

But the real turning point of the film precedes the transition from one
sequence to the other via the "four-dimensional" little blue box; it is the
lip-synched performance, in the context of a casting call for a new film,
of a pop version of *Jerome Kern's* "I Told Every Little Star" that made a
minor star of *Linda Scott* in 1961.  Adam Kesher, the director, has been
told by various Mafia-like figures, including the mysterious Cowboy, to
choose for the role a certain "Camilla Rhodes" (the name of Diane's lover
in the reality sequence). Although Adam had earlier resisted the idea, the
Cowboy's quiet threat seems to persuade him. After hearing "Camilla" sing
this song, he calls over his assistant and says, as ordered, "This is the
girl."

Why this particular song? Kern's original tune was a duet, sung by a couple
in love in a forgotten 1932 musical, _Music in the Air_. Since the lyrics
appear on several web pages, I don't imagine I can be sued for including
them here:

                     I've told every little star
                     Just how sweet I think you are--
                     Why haven't I told you?

                     I've told ripples in a brook,
                     Made my heart an open book--
                     Why haven't I told you?

                     Friends ask me "Am I in love?"
                     I always answer "yes."
                     Might as well confess.
                     If I don't they guess.
                     [Scott simplifies the last line to "If the answer's
yes."]

                     Maybe you may love me too.
                     Oh my darling if you do,
                     Why haven't you told me?

This song stands out among the insipid pop love songs of the era, a
surprisingly large proportion of which were sung by women. (Rock 'n' roll
had already begun remasculinizing the next generation of popular music with
a vengeance.) In contrast with her sugary-sentimental contemporaries, as
exemplified by the other lip-synch from the audition, * Connie Francis'*
"Sixteen Reasons," Scott borrows a tune from an old musical that avoids
postwar sentimentality and frames it with a little da-de-da riff that
undercuts its conventional theme. Scott has a rich, powerful voice and a
dynamic, brassy style. Her assertive performance conveys a sense of
empowerment; as she sings it, the song could not be, as it was in Kern's
musical, performed by a couple.

There is an unspoken irony behind the pop style of the era that makes it
easy to pastiche. The genius of Scott's arrangement is in using a rhythmic
frame to suggest awareness of this irony, telling us that the singer, while
expressing a message of inarticulate love, is really in full control. At a
time when the female singer typically expressed undying passion for her
lover, Scott enhances the power and desirability of her persona by treating
the love theme as an object of mere convention. In the context of MD, this
gesture takes on a homosexual overtone it did not have in 1961.

"Camilla"'s performance of "Every Little Star" produces the first crack in
the credibility of the film's narration. "Betty" has been invited on the
set by a female casting director who thinks she has a good chance at the
part. Just after Adam pronounces "this is the girl"--a phrase whose source,
we later discover, is Diane's reference to Camilla's picture, addressed to
the hit man in Winky's restaurant--Betty stares intensely (we hear the
singer/syncher's "Maybe you may love me too..."); there is an exchange of
close-ups with Adam (they are never in the same frame), then an extreme
close-up of Betty's eyes, and suddenly she panics and runs off on a
transparent pretext. For the first time, Betty's action is inconsistent
with the fresh and untroubled persona Diane has created for herself.
Betty's look seems to be directed at Adam, but we hear the voice of
"Camilla," whom we have seen performing on stage. In the reality sequence,
this scene retrospectively acquires central significance when Diane
determines to kill Camilla after catching a glimpse of the unnamed
"Camilla" sharing a brief but tellingly sensual kiss with her at the
wedding party. Diane has resigned herself to being abandoned for marriage,
but not to being thrown over for another woman. In Diane's fiction, "this
is the girl" conflates the two synoymous members of the triangle that
excludes her.

The empowerment embodied by the song is that of Diane's imagination; but
its realization on screen by her successful rival is the moment where
Diane's imaginary absorption of her splits apart, recalling (in the story's
chronology) and foreshadowing (in the order of the narration) the crucial
moment at the wedding party. The song, a self-contained work of art, cannot
be inserted into Diane's larger work without destroying its autonomy. In
the fiction, Mafia coercion forces Adam to choose "the girl." "Camilla"'s
talent is indeed an illusion, since the song is lip-synched, but in the
world of the fiction--as we later learn at Club Silencio--illusion is art
itself. Via Scott's interpretation, the song enacts the protagonist's
empowerment, her mastery of desire, but Diane's fiction would be fantasy,
not art, if it made this empowerment her own. The limits of Betty's mastery
of desire are revealed in the acting sequence that directly precedes this
scene; she can act out the past generation's sensuality with its aging men,
but not perform its youthful liberation from desire.

                                  [Image]

Imaginary empowerment and self-creation are characteristic of the
post-millennial or performative esthetic, which attains far greater
maturity in MD than in the exhilarating but childish fantasy _Run Lola Run_
(where the heroine gets three chances to save her boyfriend) or in *Michael
Haneke's* chilling adolescent nightmare _Funny Games_. Self-performance
cannot change the real world, yet it can transform our resentful reality
into a spectacle to be shared with others: a work of art. The importance of
this transformation is emphasized by the fact that the fiction occupies
three quarters of the film; our imaginary experience is above all that of
Diane, not that of the filmmaker. To invert these proportions would have
been to estrange the audience from the sequence later exposed as unreal. In
the brief reality sequence, we recognize many, and in principle all, the
elements of this fiction: Coco (Adam's mother), the Cowboy (a briefly seen
guest), the hitman, a waitress named "Betty," and, of course, the nameless
rival who kisses Camilla at her wedding dinner; but it is through the
esthetic fullness of the fiction sequence that this material emerges as _
culture_.

The resurgence of the real that begins with "I Told Every Little Star"
becomes definitive following Diane and Camilla's visit to Club Silencio,
whose show is a didactic demonstration of the illusory, or simply
fictional, nature of all representation: invisible instruments, a trumpeter
who lifts his trumpet without stopping the music, and, climactically, a
singer who collapses as her song--an Argentinian rendition of *Ray
Orbison's* bathetic 60s hit "Crying"--plays on. Here lip-synching, far from
a means of avoiding the effort of performance, allows the performer a total
identification with the song's content incompatible with actual
singing--the inverse of the Scott/"Camilla" case. The unreality of the real
exposed in Club Silencio characterizes the club itself in the economy of
the film, since it figures in the fictional sequence yet also in the film's
coda, a shot of the fetish-like woman with blue hair who appeared in the
balcony in the fiction sequence. This final scene overlays the club's
symbolic status in the fiction sequence not so much with its reality as
with its symbolic status in _Lynch's_ fiction; return _in extremis_ to the
world of (dis)illusion is at the same time an affirmation and a
deconstruction of the fiction that is the film itself.

                                  [Image]

Every important work of art says something specific about its place in the
continuum of social relations. MD's very lack of any reference to
historical events is historically significant, and not simply as a sign of
the political apathy of the "X Generation."

Feminism is the purest form of victimary politics. On the one hand, men and
women are demonstrably different in a way that "races" or ethnic groups are
not; on the other, women's ability to engage in the social dialectic cannot
seriously be questioned. Because gender difference is both biologically
real and socially trivial, feminism makes the most fundamental claim of
victimization, defined as the denial of human reciprocity.

This claim politicizes all relations between men and women, making them
unusable in the tradition of high narrative art. Indeed, politicizing of
gender relations correlates directly with the decline of this tradition,
given the reliance of civil society, and consequently of literature, on the
formation of couples. One consequence of this correlation is the
dichotomizing of works that do not aspire to the transcendent
reconciliation of high art into separate male and female orientations; the
immense popularity of films and video games wholly devoted to masculine
aggression is an obvious manifestation. But the dichotomy is asymmetrical.
The macho onslaught is infantile compensation for the payment exacted from
"man" for his erstwhile unmarked status; the male gender has been cursed
with the "white guilt" of the oppressor. One sign of this inversion is the
frequent (and to my mind offensive) substitution of "she" for "he" as the
neutral gender in academic prose. A more profound consequence is that a
cultural work that aspires to the status of high art, particularly one
focused on individual lives rather than acts of epic significance, is drawn
to the portrayal of exclusively female desire.

MD is a film written and directed by a man that lacks the element of male
desire. (Nor can Lynch be accused of prostituting his attractive heroines
to the male gaze in a couple of Sapphic love-scenes. The first one of these
scenes, which occurs near the end of the fictional sequence, results from
the increasing intimacy between the two protagonists; the care taken to
motivate it--in contrast with what we may surmise about the real nature of
the relationship--makes it impossible for the spectator, male or female, to
view it as other than a love-scene.) Only three male characters play
significant roles in the film: Adam Kesher, the host of Club Silencio, and,
to a lesser extent, the hit-man. Kesher is shown in the fictional sequence
as cuckolded by his wife and powerless to select the actress of his choice;
in the reality sequence, he is manipulated into marriage by Camilla whose
sexual interest is clearly elsewhere. Adam's fictional moments of
independence--smashing the Mafia brothers' windshield, pouring red paint on
his unfaithful wife's jewelry, talking back to the Cowboy--only set up his
final surrender to the necessity of choosing "Camilla" as "the girl"; in
contrast, the Club Silencio emcee, the film's true repository of masculine
power, is a "director" who never leaves the stage/set. The power of the
hit-man (viewed in the fiction with Tarantino humor) exists in reality only
in the service of Diane. The other figures of male power--the Mafiosi, the
Cowboy--are one-dimensional caricatures that we interpret in hindsight as
projections of Diane's desire for revenge. In contrast, the fictional
sequence includes a number of female figures of power: Aunt Ruth, Coco, the
female casting director (who mocks the old male director, formerly her
husband), the "prophetess" Louise. If *Flaubert's* _Madame Bovary_ (1857)
revealed the subversive centrality of female desire in bourgeois society at
the dawn of the consumer era, MD shows female desire constrained no longer
by male power but by its own triangular structure.

What is original in MD is not its portrayal of female sexuality; this is
not a film about lesbianism. What it is about is resentment; Lynch has seen
that, today, this theme that has dominated high culture ever since *Homer*
made Achilles' "wrath" the subject of the _Iliad_ can best be staged in a
world of female desire. Far from a concession to the victimary thinking of
the postmodern era, the elimination of gender-based victimary politics is
what allows us (and here I speak for both sexes) fully to identify with the
protagonist's desire and its transformation in the fictional sequence. The
ostensibly postmodern dream-logic is pressed into the service of a logic of
desire which is, more than anywhere else in Lynch's filmography, that of
the character rather than the filmmaker. _Mulholland Drive_ represents both
its creator's liberation from the postmodern era and our own.