FILM-PHILOSOPHY 2003

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

2003.01.09 Film-Philosophy News

Film-Philosophy Salon <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 9 Jan 2003 18:30:23 +0000

text/plain

.:,
.', :. .
.. , ..' : ..
.. '. .. ,. ..: ..
.. .: .'.. ,. . ... F I L M - P H I L O S O P H Y
. ' ...,... . . .:. . .
. .. . : ... .'.. ..,.. ISSN 1466-4615
. ., . . :... . . '.. Journal : Salon : Portal
. .'. , : ..... . PO Box 26161, London SW8 4WD
. .:..'...,. . http://www.film-philosophy.com
.. :.,.. '....
....:,. '. 2003.01.09 Film-Philosophy News
.' :. .
.,'

From: Darren Newbury <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: IVSA 2003 Conference

IMAGES OF SOCIAL LIFE

Exploring the New Foundations of Visual Studies

International Visual Sociology Association Conference, at the   University of
Southampton, UK July 8th -10th 2003

An international, cross-disciplinary conference, Images of Social
Life invites contributions to a matrix of visual strategies in film,
video,   still photography and multi media used to formulate, conduct
and disseminate social research.   Contributions dealing visually
with all aspects of social life -   intimate scenes of personal life,
subjectivity formation, domestic organisation, urban life, work,
community, biography, place, migration and global processes -
particularly those linking different degrees of   magnification,
scope and scale are strongly encouraged. Themes that cross-cut the
usual tensions between the micro and the macro, individual lives and
bigger   social processes, the global and the local, the general and
the particular,   the theoretical and the empirical, and connect
small landscapes with bigger processes are particularly welcome.
Creating a matrix across   disciplines, research fields,
methodologies, and forms of social analysis, we will   see what
different visual strategies can achieve by moving in different
directions and operating at different levels.

On past experience we expected this conference to attract scholars
from   the US and all over Europe from a broad range of disciplinary
bases   including Cultural and Media Studies, Geography, History,
English, Architecture   and Urban Planning, Politics, Psychology, Art
and Design, Anthropology, Sociology and Social Policy. It is intended
for those who work with   images - whether making their own or using
those of other people, in film,   video, still photography and
multi-media - in understanding social life. It is   also for those
who would like to develop their visual literacy as   researchers and
teachers and learn basic skills in the photography and video
workshops.

Abstracts by February 15th 2003 to Caroline Knowles,   [log in to unmask]
Or by post to, Department of Sociology & Social Policy, University of
Southampton, Highfield, Southampton SO17 1BJ UK.

Registration: IVSA members 80UKP (125USD); Non-IVSA members 120UKP
($190 USD);Student
IVSA members UKP26 ($40 USD); Non-IVSA student members UKP48 ($75
USD).   Non-IVSA members fees include a one year membership of IVSA
and two free issues of   Visual
Studies, edited by IVSA and published by Taylor & Francis. Fees   payable in
British UKPs to Department of Sociology and Social Policy, University   of
Southampton.