MINING-HISTORY  2002

MINING-HISTORY 2002

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: mining-history Digest - 1 Jul 2002 to 2 Jul 2002 (#2002-26)

JOHN BERRY <[log in to unmask]>

The mining-history list.

Tue, 2 Jul 2002 20:58:53 -0500

text/plain

Regarding the B.B. Popplewell mentioned in connection with the Nant-y-Car mine
(between 1863 - 1871), and as
one of the seven founding subscribers of the Tassan Mining Company Ltd in 1857 -
1858.  I wonder if there is any connection between him and the founder of the
large Southern African drilling company, floruit 1940s-1970s?  I believe the
name of the company was Squirrell and Popplewell, but that sounds too cute to be
true, and after 30 years my memory could be playing tricks.

Also, Capt. James Skimming was almost certainly from SE Scotland (Wigtownshire),
or possibly from the Isle of Man (although the normal spelling there is Skimmin
or, much more commonly, Shimmin), if that is of any interest in view of the
connection of members of the Tetley family with mining in all three places
(Tassan, Nant-y-Car, and Kirk Michael).

John

John Berry
5013 Westview Dr.,