MINING-HISTORY  2002

MINING-HISTORY 2002

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: mining-history Digest - 9 Jan 2002 to 10 Jan 2002 (#2002-11)

JOHN BERRY <[log in to unmask]>

The mining-history list.

Thu, 10 Jan 2002 23:18:45 -0600

text/plain

Dear Listers:

I hope I have followed the right procedures to post this.  My first attempt.

I wish to comment on, and add to in a sociological sense, the report sent in by
Dave Williams concerning the mining of mercury in Borneo in 1880.  This subject
is of interest to me because, in my younger days of invincibility and
immortality, I spent a year or so (~1971-2) running around the Zambian bush in a
LandRover, every crevice of which was filled with little globs of metallic
mercury: I lived, ate and slept in this vehicle for some of that time.  The
globs were the result of spillage from a standard flask, at that time 80 lbs in
my memory, but it could have been 75lbs.  Instead of iron the flask was made of
stout plastic, but I never found a way of securing it so that it could not break
loose on a bad bump. When it did break loose the top would always pop off, and I
would spend a few minutes retrieving the mercury with my fingernails, a sheet of
paper, or whatever else was handy.

The reason for the flask was that I was monitoring pumping tests on a series of
boreholes designed to supply 1,000,000 gallons of water a day for the
concentrator at the Bwana Mkubwa copper mine, then under construction.  Water
flow was measured by a mercury manometer. (The history of the Bwana Mkubwa mine
is a large topic in itself).

A year later I had the privilege of visiting Almaden Mine in Spain:  my memory
is of an incredibly beautiful Aladdin's cave of adamantine Cinnabar speckled
with thousands of brilliant spheres of metallic mercury shining back at the lamp
on one's head.
However, the atmosphere was worthy of Hell - extremely hot, humid, and
poisonous.  I suffered from severe deep chest pains for at least two months
afterwards.  The miners wore no masks, on account of the heat, and nor did we.
The town sidewalks were littered with the shaking wrecks of old miners.

I now find, 30 years later, that I, too, probably suffered some permanent damage
from these exposures to Mercury. It seems incredible, looking back, how cavalier
our attitudes were to all kinds of dangers, both on and off the job.  There was
status to doing a job that could quite possibly kill you - a sort of "better to
live a short and thrilling life than to survive a century in boredom" attitude.
As an example, in Zambia, which was a relatively safe place, the highest status
went to the Rockbreakers, who competed furiously to break records for daily
footage, and usually died or were maimed in an accident as a result.  The
diamond drillers I knew seemed to admire the mine geologists, whom they normally
would have despised because of their education, because the geologist was
normally the first person into a new stope, before it had been made safe.   The
field exploration geologist, who explored by means of logging and sampling pits
(30" diam. and up to 100 feet deep) and cross-cuts dug by a crew of labourers,
was required in his own mind to enter each possibly snake-infested or gas-filled
pit first, and to act as point man on surface surveys, or to risk losing the
respect of his crew.

Perhaps the attitudes of miners of all sorts to the dangers of their jobs, and
the evolution of those attitudes, would be an interesting topic for a young
sociologist.   When we think of the history of child and female labour in mines,
it would seem an interesting study to try to determine to what extent attitudes
were conditioned by poverty (necessity), versus the extent they were conditioned
by the sort of "machismo" described above. Unfortunately, in spite of some
anecdotes that I have heard in the UK and in Sicily, I suspect that everybody
who actually experienced doing child labour in mines is dead by now.

For those who are interested in the "chemical" hazards of mining, and the
history of the theories of doctors about them, I attach below, with thanks to
the unknown owner,  an extract from the web site

 http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~mossvalley/mv/home.html

concerning poisoning by mercury of miners and of others who used mercury in
their occupations.  For  "salivated" the Concise OED gives "produce unusual
secretion of saliva in (person) usu. with mercury."   It must have been a great
excess to produce the discomfort implied by the report below. Conditions at
Almaden do not seem to have changed much between ~1723 and 1973!

This site is copyright protected, so I have only extracted the small section
concerned with Mercury poisoning: this is part of a transcription of a much
longer article covering a variety of metals, so please go to the site itself for
more details.  The site also includes much material relevant to mining in the
Sheffield area and in NE Wales.  I apologize to the owner of the site if this
use infringes his/her copyright.

-----------------------------------
        Transcribed from The Penny Magazine of The Society for the Diffusion of
        Useful Knowledge, 1836

        DISEASES OF ARTISANS EMPLOYED IN WORKING IN METALS
        (extracted from a paper on 'The Diseases of Artisans,' &c.,
        in the 'Working-Man's Year-Book for 1836')

4. Mercury

        More than a century ago, Jussieu gave an account of the workmen in the
        quicksilver-mines of Almaden, in the province of La Mancha, in Spain.
        "The free workmen at Almaden," he says, "by taking care, on leaving the
        mine, to change their whole dress, particularly their shoes, preserved
        their health, and lived as long as other people; but the poor slaves,
        who could not afford a change of raiment, and who took their meals in
        the mine, generally without even washing their hands, were subject to
        swellings of the parotids, apthous sore-throat, salivation, pustular
        eruptions, and tremors."-(Christison on Poisons, p.311.) In this country
        we have no quicksilver-mines; but the trades of the silverers of mirrors
        and water-gilders expose them to the disease called by the French
        tremblement mercurial, i.e. mercurial shaking.  One of the cases
        reported by Mr. Mitchell, in the 'London Medical and Physical Journal,'
        for November, 1831, will show the nature of the disease:-

          "P. Nash, ęt twenty, of nervous temperament, commenced silvering six
          months ago; the trembling came on three days after he began to work,
          and his mouth was sore in six days; and he has continued to suffer,
          more or less, up to the present time.  14th March, 1831-The speech
          greatly impeded; the limbs totter when he attempts to stand or walk,
          which he accomplishes very slowly and with great difficulty; an infirm
          step and awkward gait: he is unable to convey any substance to the
          mouth, in consequence of the severity of the tremors; slight subsultus
          tendinum [twitching of the tendons] confined to the upper extremities;
          the tongue quivers; gums slightly tender; pulse strong, rather quick;
          appetite diminished; sleep disturbed; body wasted; he complains as if
          a feeling oppressed, like a load, across the lower part of the Chest,
          or as if a substance lay at the bottom of the lungs, as he expresses
          himself, which he conceived to have been drawn in by inspiration; the
          breathing was quick, accompanied with strictured feeling and cough.
          He was nearly thrown from a bath by the violence of the trembling; a
          large quantity of the water was driven by his excessive agitation over
          the sides of the bath; and if two men had not held him steadily in the
          water, he must have been thrown out before he was capable of remaining
          quiet."
        A part of the noxious effects is no doubt owing to want of cleanliness;
        but a great part must be attributed to the mercurial vapours diffused in
        the air and inhaled by the workmen.  How much must be owing to this
        latter cause may be seen from a well-known accident, which took place in
        1810.  Two ships of war, the Triumph and the Phipps, were bringing home
        a large quantity of quicksilver, when, by some accident, several of the
        bags burst.  The entire crews of both vessels were salivated on the
        voyage home from Cadiz; many were dangerously ill, and two died; and the
        sheep, goats, dogs, cats, &c., were likewise destroyed by the gaseous
        poison.

Transcriptions and scanned images © AJ, Moss Valley, 2001; all rights reserved
(please view terms)"

I, too, was very interested in the discussion on the Town Gas industry:  one of
the houses I grew up in was built in 1896 and converted to electricity at some
later time.  All of the gas outlets had been sawn off and closed off, but some
less perfectly than others, so that the whole house had a faint odour of gas!

John Berry Assocs - Remote Sensing Services
5013 Westview Drive, AUSTIN, TX 78731
Ph: +1-512-452-8068  Fx:  +1-512-452-8068
Mo: +1-512-293-8068
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]