Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Listen to Leopardi's 'A Silvia'

Mark Weiss <[log in to unmask]>

Poetryetc provides a venue for a dialogue relating to poetry and poetics <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 5 May 2002 16:04:23 -0700

text/plain

A very few small correctives to an otherwise accurate statement. While 13th
century English differs far more from modern English than their Italian
counterparts It takes somewhat less than a week for a literate native
English speaker to learn to read Chaucer easily--without an interlinear
translation. And latin roots haven't protected French nearly as
well--medieval French is easily as difficult as Chaucer.