Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: prose as poem

Mairead Byrne <[log in to unmask]>

Poetryetc provides a venue for a dialogue relating to poetry and poetics <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 19 May 2001 16:00:59 -0700

text/plain

Dear Kent,

Whether or not my dissertation could be read as a prose poem, it is a
strange thing, a long and broadminded riff. The last thing I read before I
went into my defense was the preface to Philosophical Investigations: you
can imagine that Wittgenstein's last sentences heartened me: "I should have
liked to produce a good book. This has not come about, but the time is
past in which I could improve it."

You say:
I guess I'm asking, more than anything,
if there is anything "inside" first-level genres that make them "what they
are". And if there is, why is everyone still arguing after more than 2000
years about what those essential qualities should be?

I still feel compassion for Robert Lowell when I remember his true and
utter dilemma regarding his inability to tell the difference between poetry
and prose. I think prolonged meditation and practice brings one to an
impasse, often. When one becomes aware
of the mise-en-abime it's discombobulating.

I think it matters a good deal. One way to test this is to operate between
genres, genders, countries, cultures, classes, states, etc, and see the
difficulties this causes (with border authorities, etc). Besides, that
wobbly place can be fascinating, not only for the lone soul. How can it
not matter, all knowledge being built on categories? They're what makes
the in and out.

 From the VeRT interview:
If you're going to advocate something it helps to take a stand that's
articulate enough to
make sense to a readership that you're asking to subscribe to multiple
issues.

I'm not taking a stand of course so I don't feel compelled to be
articulate. Still, you could say I'm obsessed with the mechanisms whereby
stands can be taken (as described by Aristotle at the end of Posterior
Analytics, what else).

I think taking a stand can work this way: the real product of a phantom
pregnancy:

"Though a high honor to be kicked by a king wearing horseshoes, it's hardly
as sweet as a Bloody Mary with a wedge of lime."
-- Professor Edson

The second writers workshop I participated in was directed by John
McGahern, an Irish novelist. After the first few sessions it occurred,
even to my slow mind, that I was the only poet round the table. Why, I
asked John, had he let me in (the workshop was competitive)? He told me he
liked my poems: they were almost as good as prose.

Mairead