Get Password

Re: Is it worth it?

Wed, 21 Jun 2000 11:21:57 +0100

text/plain

Like you I heard it and was also "confused". Anyway the following WHO press
release may help clarify the criteria for judging health systems.
Dr. Mohga Kamal Smith
Health policy advisor
Policy Department
Oxfam GB
274 Banbury Rd
Oxford OX2 7DZ
Tel  + 44 (0) 1865 312290
Fax  +44 (0) 1865 312245
E mail    [log in to unmask]

PressRelease
21June2000

WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION
ASSESSES THE WORLD'S HEALTH SYSTEMS

The World Health Organization has carried out the first ever analysis of the
world's health systems. Using five performance indicators to measure health
systems in 191 member states, it finds that France provides the best overall
health care followed among major countries by Italy, Spain, Oman, Austria and
Japan.

The findings are published today, 21 June, in The World Health Report 2000 -
Health systems: Improving performance.

The U. S. health system spends a higher portion of its gross domestic product
than any other country but ranks 37 out of 191 countries according to its
performance, the report finds. The United Kingdom, which spends just six percent
of gross domestic product (GDP) on health services, ranks 18th . Several small
countries - San Marino, Andorra, Malta and Singapore are rated close behind
second- placed Italy.

WHO Director-General Dr Gro Harlem Brundtland says: "The main message from this
report is that the health and well-being of people around the world depend
critically on the performance of the health systems that serve them. Yet there
is wide variation in performance, even among countries with similar levels of
income and health expenditure. It is essential for decision- makers to
understand the underlying reasons so that system performance, and hence the
health of populations, can be improved."

Dr Christopher Murray, Director of WHO's Global Programme on Evidence for Health
Policy. says: "Although significant progress has been achieved in past decades,
virtually all countries are underutilizing the resources that are available to
them. This leads to large numbers of preventable deaths and disabilities;
unnecessary suffering, injustice, inequality and denial of an individual's basic
rights to health."

The impact of failures in health systems is most severe on the poor everywhere,
who are driven deeper into poverty by lack of financial protection against ill-
health, the report says.

"The poor are treated with less respect, given less choice of service providers
and offered lower- quality amenities," says Dr Brundtland. "In trying to buy
health from their own pockets, they pay and become poorer."
The World Health Report says the main failings of many health systems are:
Many health ministries focus on the public sector and often disregard the
frequently much larger private sector health care.
In many countries, some if not most physicians work simultaneously for the
public sector and in private practice. This means the public sector ends up
subsidizing unofficial private practice.
Many governments fail to prevent a "black market" in health, where widespread
corruption, bribery, "moonlighting" and other illegal practices flourish. The
black markets, which themselves are caused by malfunctioning health systems, and
low income of health workers, further undermine those systems.
Many health ministries fail to enforce regulations that they themselves have
created or are supposed to implement in the public interest.

Dr Julio Frenk, Executive Director for Evidence and Information for Policy at
WHO, says: "By providing a comparative guide to what works and what doesn't
work, we can help countries to learn from each other and thereby improve the
performance of their health systems."

Dr Philip Musgrove, editor-in-chief of the report, says: "The WHO study finds
that it isn't just how much you invest in total, or where you put facilities
geographically, that matters. It's the balance among inputs that counts - for
example, you have to have the right number of nurses per doctor."

Most of the lowest placed countries are in sub-Saharan Africa where life
expectancies are low. HIV and AIDS are major causes of ill-health. Because of
the AIDS epidemic, healthy life expectancy for babies born in 2000 in many of
these nations has dropped to 40 years or less.

One key recommendation from the report is for countries to extend health
insurance to as large a percentage of the population as possible. WHO says that
it is better to make "pre-payments" on health care as much as possible, whether
in the form of insurance, taxes or social security.

While private health expenses in industrial countries now average only some 25
percent because of universal health coverage (except in the United States, where
it is 56%), in India, families typically pay 80 percent of their health care
costs as "out-of- pocket" expenses when they receive health care.

"It is especially beneficial to make sure that as large a percentage as possible
of the poorest people in each country can get insurance," says Dr Frenk.
"Insurance protects people against the catastrophic effects of poor health. What
we are seeing is that in many countries, the poor pay a higher percentage of
their income on health care than the rich."

"In many countries without a health insurance safety net, many families have to
pay more than 100 percent of their income for health care when hit with sudden
emergencies. In other words, illness forces them into debt."

In designing the framework for health system performance, WHO broke new
methodological ground, employing a technique not previously used for health
systems. It compares each country's system to what the experts estimate to be
the upper limit of what can be done with the level of resources available in
that country. It also measures what each country's system has accomplished in
comparison with those of other countries.

WHO's assessment system was based on five indicators: overall level of
population health; health inequalities (or disparities) within the population;
overall level of health system responsiveness (a combination of patient
satisfaction and how well the system acts); distribution of responsiveness
within the population (how well people of varying economic status find that they
are served by the health system); and the distribution of the health system's
financial burden within the population (who pays the costs).

"We have created a new tool to help us measure performance," says Dr Murray. "As
we develop it further and strengthen the raw data used for these measures in the
years to come, we believe this will be an increasingly useful tool for
governments in improving their own health systems."

Other findings in the annual WHO report include:
In Europe, health systems in Mediterranean countries such as France, Italy and
Spain are rated higher than others in the continent. Norway is the highest
Scandinavian nation, at 11th .
Colombia, Chile, Costa Rica and Cuba are rated highest among the Latin American
natiFrom [log in to unmask] Thu Jun 22 13:50:50 2000
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 13:45:52 +0100 (BST)