DRS  May 2000

DRS May 2000

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: a more ambitious justification of design?

Klaus Krippendorff <[log in to unmask]>

Klaus Krippendorff <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 20 May 2000 01:01:40 -0400

text/plain

this is an example for what we should be careful of.  it is so typical,
unfortunately, to throw fashionable words around, think that it means
anything, without examining the entailments of what one is saying.
regarding "intelligent" design
-- is the design intelligent?
-- is the artifact that a design produces intelligent?
-- was the designer intelligent in suggesting the design?
-- what is intelligent in the first place? -- passing an IQ test?
i am suggesting that intelligence is a attribute of certain human
activities, not of machines.  machines do what they do and don't know any
better or worse.  intelligence is a word with certain uses.  it means
something to human beings.
klaus

 At , Jean Schneider wrote:
>Dear colleagues,
>
>I just discovered from another forum that a new category of design
("intelligent design") is becoming essential.
>The programme it sets makes me realize how little ambitions I had until
today.
>And it open new avenues in terms of ontology of design : what a huge
number of new PhD topics we will potentially unlashŠ