MENTORING-COACHING  September 2008

MENTORING-COACHING September 2008

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: E-seminar:Theme Three: If mentors develop their own learning theories to inform their practice, is this sufficient?

Peter Stopp <[log in to unmask]>

BERA-MENTORING-COACHING <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 17 Sep 2008 21:05:53 +0100

text/plain

I am no further than that, either. I started using role-play in my teaching 40 years ago, and also ran inset courses on it but they were more practical than theoretical. I am a kinaesthetic/visual learner and so from personal experience the enactment of simulated experience is helpful for me to absorb an understanding of processes, which is why I have been keen on using them - on the basis of what seems to work for me must be good for everyone! Seriously, though, I have found that understanding only slowly develops, often in a piecemeal manner (a constructivist approach) resulting from repeated experiences, each one potentially opening new depths, or layers, of perception, so to teach through activity, visual examples AND discussion/explanation seems a useful way of addressing all learner type needs and having the potential to develop deeper layers of understanding.
Peter