BISA-SEEWG  July 2023

BISA-SEEWG July 2023

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Minutes of the BISA SEEWG 2023 AGM, New Convenors, and Other Updates

Lydia Cole <[log in to unmask]>

BISA South East Europe Working Group <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 18 Jul 2023 15:11:14 +0100

text/plain

Dear all,

It was great to see so many of you in Glasgow for BISA 2023. We hope that those of you who attended had a great conference and enjoyed a well-deserved rest afterwards!

At the BISA Annual Conference, we held our Annual General Meeting. Here is a brief rundown of the main points discussed during the meeting and an exciting announcement about our new convenors!

South East Europe Working Group AGM - 21 June 2023

1. Introducing our new convenors!
Elena Stavrevska (University of Bristol) and Mate Subašić (University of Liverpool) have been appointed as the new working group convenors. They will be formally taking over from Lydia Cole (LC) and Katarina Kušić (KK) in January 2024. LC and KK have thoroughly enjoyed their time as convenors and are pleased to leave the group in such capable hands. Tony Horne (University of Portsmouth) will continue in post as Postgraduate Convenor.

2. 22/23 Report
The working group held a virtual event in October 2022: ‘Worlding from South East Europe, Remaking International Relations'. This fed into the coordination of panels and roundtables for BISA’s 2023 Annual Conference. The working group had a strong presence at the Annual Conference in June 2023, with five panels and one roundtable featured on the programme.

3. Future Events
Given the success of the October 2022 virtual workshop, members expressed support for a similar event to be run in 2023. The working groups’ convenors will be in touch in due course with further information about the event.
LC and KK noted that BISA had now made it possible to host in-person events. However, the funding structure of working groups has changed, with funding needing to be applied for on a case-by-case basis. Members expressed a preference for virtual events to ensure that these are as accessible as possible.

Several ideas for future events were raised during the meeting including a PG networking event, ‘how to publish’ workshop.

Any members wishing to propose and/or host an event, whether virtual, hybrid, or in person, should get in touch with the convenors ([log in to unmask]). We are happy to discuss and support events wherever possible!

4. Any other business
Working group members discussed further strategies to make working group events accessible and to promote group membership. In particular, working group members expressed a preference for continuing virtual events where possible. BISA’s definition of ‘Global South’ was also discussed in the context of making working group activities accessible.

As noted, please do get in touch if you have any ideas for events or workshops that you'd like to see the group host - we'd be very happy to hear from you and work with you to make it happen.

Best wishes,
Lydia, Katarina, and Tony