Dear all,

I have a couple of queries that I would welcome your thoughts on please. The questions relate to an institution’s overall safeguarding responsibility, and whether this should/can be devolved to another organisation without oversight of the DBS process?

1.       Work-based learning / employer-led courses

Could you please let me know what DBS policy/procedure you have in place for work-based learning courses / employer-led courses, where a student is already in employment or will be  employed as part of an apprenticeship course.

Where a student has an existing DBS check, do your require students to apply for a new check OR do you allow the student to use their existing DBS check? If you allow the student to use their existing check, do you verify the employer’s consideration of the DBS and/or require the student to bring in a copy of their DBS for verification?

2.       Individual DBS checks for non-mandatory courses

Also, could you please let me know if you ever allow a placement provider/school/organisation etc. to carry out a DBS check for a student without having oversight of the process as an institution? This question has come up recently in relation to a non-mandatory placement, where a school would like to complete the DBS on behalf of the student without the University vetting the result. We would normally require the student to complete the DBS through the University to ensure we maintain oversight of our safeguarding responsibilities.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated. If you have a published policy/procedure relating to the above could you please share the web link with me?

Many thanks,

Talia.

Talia Francis

Student Progress Manager
Academic Services

Academic Section

University of Essex

T +44 (0)1206 872659

E [log in to unmask]

www.essex.ac.uk

My office hours are Monday - Wednesday 8.00 - 1.00 and Friday 8.00 – 1.00

WE ARE ESSEX

TOP 20 FOR RESEARCH EXCELLENCE

TEF GOLD 2017

cid:image009.png@01D2F035.7630D390

cid:09317085-60AC-425E-B2B7-E09DAB14FF9B cid:2D9E9C70-8DF0-4E0D-A2D6-636E16F0AFA3 cid:DCB45D89-19F6-430B-BCCD-39449AE8A722