I've been informed by James Brundage of evidence that positional notation
using so-called Arabic numerals can be founbd in European manuscripts
dating from as early as the late 12th century.  I wasn't aware, or had
forgotten about such use, and in my statement referring to use of such
notation becoming "widespread" only in the late Middle Ages or early
Renaissance, I was relying on my memories of a number of books which I
haven't looked at in some years, and I suppose one could argue about what
"widespread" means here, e.g. in connection with everyday financial
transactions as contrasted with questions of royal or high level church
finances.  This is not an area in which I am an expert on history of
mathematics, by any means.

However, I can well believe that there were relatively early uses of
positional notation in Middle Aged Europe in connection with accounting
practices, royal finances, etc. Here's a point concerning this which I
don't think has been mentioned before.  One of the great detractions of the
use of Roman numerals in computations in the middle ages was the difficulty
of using such algorithms as can be devised for multiplying or dividing
using them, as contrasted with adding or subtracting. I expect that
multiplying is necessary in connection with interest payments, which appear
to have been often enough used, for example, in connection with Jewish
bankers and other moneylenders from as early the 11th century if not
before.  This would certainly make positional notation attractive to those
who knew about them, no doubt ultimately from Arabic sources, since
multiplication algorithms are considerably simpler using positional
notation than they are using Roman numeral notation.

Gordon Fisher     [log in to unmask]