At 12:22 15/11/99 EST, you wrote:

><< "Gnosticism" (and Marcionism)
>
>I think one could say that Gnosticism was a perennial strain upon
>Christianity from about the year 100 until the Arab conquest of the east
>(roughly 650), and was the fountainhead of most of the christological
>conundrums.  Thus, the full implication of your following statement:

I do wonder to what extent Gnosticism is really an issue after, say, the
third century.  Granted, the individual Gnostic writers are the subject of
particular attacks from the 'orthodox'.  The text I know most closely in
this regard is Theodoret's late Compendium.  But my impression is that
their views were not live:  they had become standard objects of attack,
whom it was convenient to bring into the argument to blacken further the
position of the real objects of concern, i.e. Arians, Monophysites,
Nestorians, etc.,.  Manichees, and to a lesser extent Marcionites, on the
other hand remained an abiding problem in both east and west.

Ian Tompkins

Ian G Tompkins, MA, BD, DPhil
Administrative Assistant
Academic Registrar's Office
~~~~~~~~
Warden
Neuadd Penbryn - Penbryn Hall
~~~~~~~~
Prifysgol Cymru - The University of Wales
Aberystwyth
~~~~~~~~
Email: [log in to unmask]
Tel:    (01970-62)2047(day); 2900(eve)