I think your making invalid assumptions on the early use of coke/coal, particulaly in your mention of A. Darby.

My own recent research has shown the very direct links between Dud Dudley, Thomas & Paul Foley, Richard & Edward Knight, and Abraham Darby during the 17th century. Dud Dudley claimed in his “Metallum Martis” of 1665 to have perfected the use of coal in furnaces to produce Iron in the 1620’s. Over 40 years later he claims his former works are still using coal, and documents from the accounts of Philip Foley 1668 show the purchase of Pit-cole Iron from their furnaces.

The link between the various parties is thus:

1620’s Dud Dudley patents use of coal in furnaces & forges

1640’s English Civil War – Dud Dudley on the losing side of Charles 1st, Foley’s take over his works.  Dud Dudley states these works are still using Pit-cole in 1665. Accounts of the works in 1668 corroborate this.

Early 1700’s Paul Foley takes over Willey Furnace, later controlled by Richard Knight whose son advises A.Darby to patent the use of coke to produce Iron, which he morally never does.

Ian