As a professor at Hunter College at the City University of NY we have 2
faculty members who identify as disabled [I being one of them]-the other 2
do so when pushed-disabled academics throughout CUNY are few in # and
don't seem to want to get together for whatever reason-usually it comes
down to fear-or would rather not identify with disability studies
but would rather identify with the discipline they received their degree
in- I don't know why such a distinction is made?????????  Generally these
people are not active in the disability rights movement either-I'm
sure there's the connection-or at least one of them.  Faculty from Black
and Puerto Rician Studies have been overheard saying I teach Black History
in Black Studies Department.  Even though Hunter doesn't have a DS Dept.
or prog. I've yet to hear a dis. or non-dis. faculty member state I teach
"X" course with a disability perspective or as a disabiliy studies course.
Your thoughts?
Phyllis