--- CA Muessig <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Today, 29 September, is the feast of...
>
> Michael the Archangel:
> Last year Bill East added this to the posting:

And this year, Bill is about to add something else.  I wonder if you
all know the fine hymn by St Joseph the Hymnographer (Greek, d. 883)?
Here is the translation by J.M. Neale:

Stars of the morning, so gloriously bright,
Filled with celestial resplendence and light,
These that, where night never followeth day,
Raise the Trisagion ever and ay:

These are thy counsellors, these dost thou own,
Lord God of Sabaoth, nearest thy throne;
These are thy ministers, these dost thou send,
Help of the helpless ones!  man to defend.

These keep the guard amid Salem's dear bowers;
Thrones, Principalities, Virtues and Powers;
Where, with the Living ones, mystical Four,
Cherubim, Seraphim, bow and adore.

'Who like the Lord?'  thunders Michael the Chief;
Raphael 'the cure of God,' comforteth grief;
And as at Nazareth, prophet of peace,
Gabriel, 'the Light of God,' bringeth release.

Then, when the earth was first poised in mid space,
Then, when the planets first sped on their race,
then, when were ended the six days' employ,
Then all the Sons of God shouted for joy.

Still let them succour us;  still let them fight,
Lord of angelic hosts, battling for right;
Till, where their anthems they ceaselessly pour,
We with the Angels may bow and adore.

Oriens.