Dear Graham Jones et al

Back in June you raised some interesting questions on the
bestowing of martyrdom on various 9th century saints.
You questioned the justification for blaming these and other
atrocities in Lincolnshire on the Danes.

You wrote, inter alia:

1. There's precious little evidence of Vikings targeting monasteries
because they were Christian (and lots of evidence that they
targeted deposits of portable wealth indiscriminately)
2. The supposed martyrdoms take place in this single military
episode. Why no accounts of similar persecutions during any
of the many other such episodes over a very long period in
England?
At the time I wrote in support to say that I knew of no
record of the original Saxon Church at Burton upon Stather
having been sacked during the pillaging days of the Danes.

Since then I have come across evidence that has made me change
my mind.  In Lincolnshire Notes and Queries Vol. 1, of 1889 (p 60)
there is correspondence relating to burnt stones in Lincolnshire
churches namely, Stow,  Bottesford, and Burton on Stather. The
views expressed in this correspondence were that the
conflagrations must have been of Danish origin.

I felt that I ought to put the record straight.

Ron Hornsby