Margaret Cormack wrote:

>When do we start finding images of St. Lawrence actually being roasted....

Dear Margaret,

Being iconographically challenged I can only try and keep the ball in the air
until some of the heavy-hitters on the list get enough offended by my
shameless metaphor-mixing that they will weigh in with something of substance
and make the basket.

If I remember rightly, the frying of St. Lawrence iconogrphy goes back quite a
ways, at least to a Ravenna mosaic (the Mausoleum of Galla Placidia
http://www.users2.dircon.co.uk/~asm/features/mausolem.htm (slow .uk
connection)
http://www.racine.ra.it/RACINE/docs/I/05F5E49B/RAVENNA/galla2uk.htm though,
here I note that though the grill is warm and waiting to accept him the saint
himself is not quite ready;

and, in any case, there is a wonderful early 12th c. example (and a quite
proper grilling) in a mural from the little _villa_ chapel of
Berzé-la-Ville (near-by, and property of, Cluny):

http://www.willamette.edu/~anicgors/art359/berze3.jpg
(with thanks to Prof. Ann M. Nicgorski, whose site is a wonderful resource,
btw)

The magnificent and complex, byzantinizing style at Berzé
(http://www.willamette.edu/~anicgors/art359/berze1.jpg ) is surely a
reflection of that which we have lost at Cluny, and the iconography as well
must have had quite a good 11th-12th c. run, certainly not sucking itself out
of its own fingers at this modest site.

Best from here,

Christopher