Dear Karl-Heinz,

Which text are you dealing with specifically? -- A number of vernacular
texts make similar statements regarding the Holy Spirit -- The _Trudperter
Hoheleid_, for example, indentifies the Holy Sprirt as being "like" the
love in the song of songs. --Even in more "secular" texts like Wolfram von
Eschenbach's _Parzival_ we find God identified as fidelity (got selbe ist
diu triuwe) and as the true lover (der ware minnaere) -- I wonder if it
might not be the case that the vernacular texts are communicating with
eachother and the sermon tradition moreso than with the latin tradition?

Stephen M. Carey
Department of Germanic Languages and Literatures
Washington University in St. Louis
Campus Box 1104
One Brookings Drive
St. Louis, MO 63130